What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6, Tennessee, 9/2/15

Something strange about this. Hickman County is not between Shelbyville Tn and Alabaster Al. Perhaps the reporter got the facts mixed up because of "Shelby County Alabama" being the destination. This is about 45 miles northwest of Shelbyville.

Update: FlightAware does show a morning flight for this N number (FA shows it as an RV8 but everywhere else this N number shows as either a -6 or a -6A) from Shelby County Alabama to Shelbyville Tennessee, so perhaps the pilot was sightseeing or otherwise taking an indirect flight back to Shelby County Alabama.
Hickman County TN is a bordering county to Lewis County where I grew up, and I have relatives near where the crash occurred. Also the FAA placed a TFR over the crash site, but it has now expired.

Update 2: FAA records indicate the airplane was based at or near the Shelby County Alabama airport.

Last edited:
Guys this looks like the same crash of an RV8A that killed two brothers from my airport yesterday.

I did not know them as they had just bought the plane a few weeks ago. Their hangar was just behind mine.

I have no other info...

Sad deal!

Pray for the families and friends!

Last edited:
Very sad indeed... We knew the RV6A pilot. He stopped in yesterday and talked to me about teaching his wife how to land (pinch hitter thread I posted yesterday). Super nice guy. No idea how this happened, or how he ended up northwest of Shelbyville on his way home to Alabama. Prayers for his family... And the RV8 brothers.

RV8A crash in NC

The RV8A crash occurred at our home airport in NC where I live. We have a very close group of RVS here, and the accident involving the brothers has deeply saddened the hearts of all. Prayers to their families through this tragedy.

The RV8A crash occurred at our home airport in NC where I live. We have a very close group of RVS here, and the accident involving the brothers has deeply saddened the hearts of all. Prayers to their families through this tragedy.

Prayers for you all. I did not know these guys as they had just recently moved in the hangar behind me. Hurts when we lose anyone but really hurts when we lose members of the RV family.

Back