What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 tailwheel problem. Help

jscottpilot

I have a worn and malfunctioning tailwheel on my RV3. With left rudder and weight on the tail wheel it breaks over with less than a pound of left rudder. Right rudder seems to work fine. I did a google search for RV3 tailwheels but it looks like most are made for the RV4 and up. I would like to find a tailwheel that is at a bit of an angle so it does not catch on a lip in the pavement. Anyone know of a company that sells a tailwheel that will fit an RV3.
Another question. I am building an 8 and the tailwheels look the same. Why wouldn't the after market kits for the 4 or 8 fit the 3?

It depends on the age of your RV-3 - later ones (or those retrofitted with later tailwheel springs) will work fine with the same tailwheel parts as an RV-8. Earlier designs are different. If it looks like the RV-8 yoke will fit - it probably will, and will work fine.

Your issue sounds like wear in the steering arm to me - very normal. Change that and you'll probably be back in business.

Paul

Back