What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Osh where to stay July 22-25?

kevinsky18

Well Known Member
I'm making a last minute decision to go to Oshkosh. This will be my first year. I?ll probably fly in commercially. Unless anyone here is taking their plane from Edmonton, Alberta Canada and needs / wants a co-pilot.

I?d like to stay near fellow RV folk. Does anyone here plan to be at Osh between the 22&26 and have a house or camping spot available with room for one more? I?m more than willing to pay for my share of the rent and other expenses whatever the accommodations might be.

Good Luck on your search

It is very difficult to get anything within 50 miles at this late date. If you get no workable response from the thread, your best bet is use some service like Orbitz and just keep expanding the search. Once you get on the grounds the RVs are there in great numbers. Most owners will be glad to show their airplane and answer questions - that's not the same as a live-in experience but it will give you a lot of exposure to the people and their airplanes.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
To get the best exposure, you would want to stay in Camp Scholler and look up RV folk and look at attending some of the functions (RV BBQ, Van's, and RivetBangers). It is hard though if you don't know anyone. The functions would therefore be best.
Hotels etc are out for miles. I decided not to camp this year (got my hiney wooped with the heat last year), and did find a place near Ripon called the Dartwood Inn or something. For you, camping would be a pain as you would have to bring gear. Scholler always will have spot, though. Go to http://www.airventure.org/ , then to the housing info links to http://www.oshkoshcvb.org/eaa.cfm for current options. There may be dorms available. I would at least have a rental car (which you won't find near here - better to fly into Milwaukee, Chicago, etc, pick up a car there, then drive to OSH).
I was a Van's newbie last year, and just wandered the RV parking area (most planes will be in one area to the west of the homebuilt vendor tents) and asked questions, looked at a/c, then went to Van's tent and climbed around the -7 and -9, as I was deciding between the two. For the RV parking area, go several times, especially early am and in the pm after the airshow. There are always a few owners around. Good luck with the housing - note that there is a lake house posting here on VAF where a couple beds are still available.

Last edited:
Always room. . .

Our plans are still a bit up in the air, but plan is for one of us to fly up on Saturday, with two others driving and bringing the camping gear. We will stay the week. If worse comes to worse (meaning you can't find someone with a nice motorhome,) we could probably find you a corner in the tent. This will be the first year in five or six that I haven't taken a "newbie" so it would be fun. It would be a big plus if you could cook better than Dave, but that's another story. You would need a sleeping bag and your usual overnight supplies. I will talk to my partners to make sure.

Since you have planned and have the time DON'T MISS IT! You will be welcome and I'm sure plenty of others will make the same offer. You will never forget it.

Bob Kelly

oshkosh camping

We will be camping at a private campground just a couple miles out of oshkosh (sleepy hollow farm) i believe is the name. I cant offer any room...i have the wife believing this is a great couples destination (haahah) but if you dont mind tenting...i am sure a bunch of us that camp at this place would have no trouble driving you to osh and back daily if it helps. they claim its just a couple miles. They do have chalets etc, but i am sure they are booked.

Don't mind the drive

Kevin:

By the time I booked last year (my first year at Osh) I could only get a room in Green Bay which is 1/2 hour north. Considering I spent all day at Osh, it was worth doing the hour drive each day, and in fact 1/2 hour didn't seem like a big deal.

Antony

kevinsky18 said:
I'm making a last minute decision to go to Oshkosh. This will be my first year. I?ll probably fly in commercially. Unless anyone here is taking their plane from Edmonton, Alberta Canada and needs / wants a co-pilot.

I?d like to stay near fellow RV folk. Does anyone here plan to be at Osh between the 22&26 and have a house or camping spot available with room for one more? I?m more than willing to pay for my share of the rent and other expenses whatever the accommodations might be.

Your best bet this late are the dorms on Blackhawk campus....get the number off the EAA housing list and give them a call. Transportation to and from the airport is convenient. I've lucked out there in the past.

Camp Scholler

You can easily pack a duffle with a small tent, lantern, sleeping bag and other minor camp things.

Contact Bob Collins, who is on the list. He would like to get as many RV people camping around his area as possible for the comraderie.

Camping is a great experience.

Room at Oshkosh

We stay at a private home.
It is very near local Bus Service.
We could also assist with local transportation as we are driving up.
The owner usually has some single rooms available.
If interested contact me off line and I will provide his phone number.

Ripon

I just made last minute plans for Osh Kosh as well. I called last week and was able to get a room for myself and my dad at Ripon College. I think it's about $45ish a night for a single, and that includes a decent breakfast in the morning. It's about 20 minutes from the airport. Check the Airventure site for the contact information.

Brandon

Try the YMCA

The YMCA will rent you a spot on the floor of their indoor soccer field. Air conditioned, showers, swimming pool, weight room and a shuttle back and forth to the airs how. very reasonable.

Maybe I will see you there.

Duane Wilson

I stay at WICS

Great place to stay and I believe they still have some room. This will be my third year staying there and I highly recommend it.

Beds are very comfortable and you get to meet visitors from all over the world. The volunteers that run the place for the Airventure crowd are great.

Wisconsin Independent Christian Schools (7 miles from EAA site)
3450 Vinland Rd., Oshkosh, WI 54901
www.oshkoshchristian.com
Email - [email protected] or [email protected].

Accommodations include roll-away beds, linens, pillows and towels. Separate rooms available for groups and/or a large air-conditioned room that will house 12 men barrack style. A large air-conditioned gymnasium for basketball and volleyball, TV's available for movies and news, shuttle to EAA 2 times a day. Free Continental breakfast daily 6 am to 8 am. Cost is $45 - $55 per night per person. For reservations or questions, call Jodi at 920-589-4041 or Lorie at 920-231-9704, ext. 4.

A slightly more expensive option-motor home rental

A slightly more expensive option, but nice for those not totally into dorm settings or camping would be renting a motorhome. Privately owned units which are generally nicer and better equipped than those found from the big companies through several agencies. I just had a cancellation, the motorhome from my little side business is available week of Oshkosh.
http://www.motorhomerental.ws/search.php/d/28182
Other units possibly closer may be found at the same website.
(Apologies in advance for a shameless, self promotional plug)

Back