What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No step?

Rick6a

Well Known Member
There is a cutout on the F-842-1 bottom skin that apparently accomodates a footstep. At first, I thought there must be some mistake with my order because I did not order an optional footstep. Yet DWG 74 (RV-8) clearly illustrates the detail. Since I do not want nor did I order a footstep, I have to ask how this gaping hole is to be eventually dealt with.
fuselageassembly05310on5.jpg
fuselageassembly05410th9.jpg

That sucks. One downfall to the new matched holed 8. Maybe they sent an 8A skin by accident. Doesn't look like it, being that its on the RV-8 (not A) dwg though. I wonder why they need the -1, other than for the aformentioned crater. The old 842 was already prepunched. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
Flap fairing?

If it's located in the same place as the old RV-8 kit, I think the flap fairing should eventually cover it.

-Paige
RV-8A

briand said:
That sucks. One downfall to the new matched holed 8. Maybe they sent an 8A skin by accident. Doesn't look like it, being that its on the RV-8 (not A) dwg though. I wonder why they need the -1, other than for the aformentioned crater. The old 842 was already prepunched. Let us know what you find out.

Any -1 part # designates a part for the fully matched hole fuselage kit.

The F-842-1 skin is used in both the RV-8 and the 8A.

As already mentioned...The flap fairing covers this location so if you are building an RV-8 the hole will not be visible.

I guess there are some concessions to pay when you get an upgraded fully prepunched kit for the same price as the old one... :rolleyes: (using the same skin helps keep the overall cost down).

rvbuilder2002 said:
.....The flap fairing covers this location so if you are building an RV-8 the hole will not be visible. I guess there are some concessions to pay when you get an upgraded fully prepunched kit for the same price as the old one....
Thanks for the info Scott. Saves me from fretting all weekend then contacting support on Monday. I'll go ahead and install it (without adding extra "ALUMINUM & RIVETS"). Looking at the bright side....hey, a little weight savings here and there can't hurt a thing! :)

I wouldn't be happy with that. I wonder if not having that hole is something that could be requested when ordering the kit.

briand said:
But You will always know that hole is there.
burgundyja said:
but your plane will be lighter. maybe you shoud cut alot of those holes.:D
kevinsky18 said:
.....I wonder if not having that hole is something that could be requested when ordering the kit.

Well, for this -8 builder.....its a moot point now!

fuselageassembly06615wg5.jpg

Back