What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Actual RV sales prices

exercise

Well Known Member
I noticed the thread with the RV price guestimates below and as a potential RV6 purchaser, I'm hoping to locate a source that provides real time sold prices for RV's, similiar to what used car dealers have access to in order to determine value. Anything like that around? Thanks in advance.

The secret handshake society

Exercise;
Your attempting to breach the interim of the 'secret handshake society'. :rolleyes:
I too, looked for the same thing. I found that very few sellers wished to disclose their actual sold price. And, even the buyer was reluctant to share what he actually paid for it. The reason being (IMHO), the seller typically feels that their plane was worth more, and they had to concede to sell for less. And the buyer (upon purchase) wishes to appreciate the value. (in the event he ever finds himself in the seller market.

So, the secret handshake bond is formed...

I have been on both sides of the handshake. (seller & buyer)
I also get a laugh when people post 'Wow, you're selling that plane WAY to low" (and the plane stays unsold for weeks)

Everyone has their personal opinion, and mine is as follows;
"Every plane has a fair value based on age, condition, equipment, etc"
If the seller's price is not met, he is above market value for that plane. If he lowers the price until it is sold, he has met market value. Sure there are some that will offer an excess of market value just as there are buyers looking for distress sales. But, all in all, it boils down to one bottom line. When you find the plane that you crave to have in your hanger, are you willing to offer enough to motivate the seller. ;) Otherwise, the search goes on..

exercise said:
I noticed the thread with the RV price guestimates below and as a potential RV6 purchaser, I'm hoping to locate a source that provides real time sold prices for RV's, similiar to what used car dealers have access to in order to determine value. Anything like that around? Thanks in advance.
$60,000 almost three years ago. Probably a little less now, the market seems to have softened a bit:

http://n466pg.blogspot.com

Lyc O-320 150hp 165 SFRM, fixed pitch Sensenich.

Thin Market

I my opinion, Rv's should be worth twice what they usually sell for. Try to find the performance, utility, and fun in a a certified aircraft, or other kit plane for any price. Good luck. We are trading in a thin market where there seems to be an ample supply of willing sellers pricing their machines to move them for other reasons than needing the money or returning an investment.
I also believe part of the "problem" is that there are many builders who simply like the hobby and are more than happy to sell for cost, or lower, to fund the next project. It is a hobby and that certainly is everyones previledge and right to do so.
I built my six for $80k. I would not sell it for any price. Yet, I could go out and find a similar low time machine for that same $80k or maybe a lot less. Go figure. It is a buyers market and if you have the cash, you can get a whole lot of airplane for relatively little scratch.
So, when you find the airplane you want, pay the price and know that you got a very good deal even if it is more than what the "average" market price seems to be.

Good resale

My neighbor sold his 8 for $133K. It was full IFR with 115 hours on it.

I was surprised but he got it and had several willing to pay $120K +.

RV7Guy said:
My neighbor sold his 8 for $133K. It was full IFR with 115 hours on it.

I was surprised but he got it and had several willing to pay $120K +.

Well bought/well sold. Still a bargain.

It's way too hard to compare prices of RVs because no two are built the same. You can't say that a person who got an RV-8 for $80k got a great deal and another who paid $130 paid too much.

The RV-8 that sold for $80k may have been bare bones no paint and no avionics and an almost timed out engine really worth $75. The RV-8 that sells for $130 could easily had enough Avionics equipment and fancy paint and interior to equate to $140 or $150K

Last edited:
exercise said:
...I'm hoping to locate a source that provides real time sold prices for RV's, similiar to what used car dealers have access to in order to determine value. Anything like that around?

If there is, I haven't found it. I'm looking to buy an RV6 or 7 also. I have been tracking prices on various internet sites, and building a spreadsheet. I've got headers for N#/yr/TT/SMOH/price/eng/prop/ and a few others. It's easy to tell which ones are competitively priced, and which ones are at the high end.

Sometimes there's a good reason for a high price, an example is the OSH Grand Champion FS on this thread. Other times it's just that the owner is probably a just a little less clueless about the true market value (vs what he has in it) than you and I are.

What the Market will Bare

When a new Beech craft Bonanza or Baron cost $800,000 or a new Lancair or Cirrus cost $400,000, $120k don't sound so bad. What's a new C-172 go for, $200,000.

I remember when RV's all sold for $30,000 $45,000, but than now many RV's have new engines, constant speed prop, full IFR autopiliot EFIS panels and leather interiors and pro paint jobs. Its like wack-a-mole. Its a moving target (market) and depends on what the market will bear.

These are amateur built planes by individuals and they vary, no standard, but it seems the $60,000-$120,000 range is not too crazy. RV-10's? There is a real market for New 4-place planes that carry 4-folks as fast or almost as fast as a new Mooney or Bonanza's that cost over 1/2 million. Most agree that the use price is crazy for a homebuilt but than people are pouring big bucks into engine/props/panels/interior/paint like I have never seen before.

Bottom line if you want to buy your dream RV plan on closer to the $90k-$120k range. You want a little older tired but nice RV-4/6 than $60,000 on up.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
Bottom line if you want to buy your dream RV plan on closer to the $90k-$120k range. You want a little older tired but nice RV-4/6 than $60,000 on up.

I wonder what constitutes "old and tired but nice?"

There's about 22 RV6's and 6/A's on the market right now, and the average price is about $75,000. Of course, about half are FP props and half CS, and the prices vary accordingly.

The average TTAF is about 261 hours. That doesn't sound like a lot of time to me. The oldest one is a 1996, most are late 90's early 00's.

RV-6

I sold my RV-6 for 85K and it had more than that into it. But when the RV-7 came out, that's what everyone want so the RV-6 dropped in price. As far as I'm concerned the 7 is not a better airplane than the 6 except for the prepunched kit and a little more gas. But people think the 6 should be worth 20K less with the same equipment as a RV-7. If you are a flyer and and buyer not a builder than spend the money for what you want. Don't kick the tires. The price of the parts usually is more than the selling price plus it has been assembled. A well equipped RV-7 with new engine/C/S prop/interior/nice paint and a full panel should be in the 100K range. If you think you are getting a good deal than pay what you want for it, don't worry about what the market thinks. As a note, as you move farther from Van's in Aurora Oregon, the price usually goes up a bit. We have a large number of people in the NW that will sell their planes below price to build another on and that only hurts others just trying to recover the cost. However it is a free world, just don't expect me to pay for it!

2 Bought, 2 Sold

I purchased my first Rv6 for a grand price of $45K. I put about 6K into it over a 4 year period. Flew the plane for 800 hours over 4 years. (Read "speed Mods") I sold the plane for 40K to a nice fellow from the North with a timed out engine and basic IFR panel. He took it home and completely redid the engine and refurbished the exterior. I don't know what has happened to the plane since then as I believe the buyer was transferred to China and had to sell. I loved that plane.
My second venture was an RV6A with 150 hrs and a full IFR panel. The builder had lost his medical and was anxious to sell. I bought the plane for 65K. My partner and I put about 300 hours on the engine over a 2 year period. We did find a few squawks that we repaired and in my opinion the plane needed to be repainted at the time I sold it. I put about 4K into the plane while I owned it. The panel easily cost the original builder 20K as it was full IFR with autopilot and coupled GPS's. I sold the plane to a very nice couple for 70K. I feel that was a very fair market price for that plane and the buyer has become a friend that I keep in touch with. He has flown the plane almost daily with no problems and as far as I know hasnt repainted it.
I will be looking for a new plane to buy as I am not really interested in building as much as flying. It seems the 100k mark is the cutoff for a nice RV6 or 7. In my opinion, RV's that have a nice VFR panel and a low time 180HP with fixed pitch are the best deal. I will sacrifice an extra 300fpm in climb anytime to buy an extra $5000 worth of fuel.
Woodmanrog (Turtle Wood Designs)

Last edited:
woodmanrog said:
I purchased my first Rv6 ... My second venture was an RV6A with 150 hrs and a full IFR panel. ... and in my opinion the plane needed to be repainted at the time I sold it.

hey woodmanrog-
A couple of questions from a newbie. After flying both the 6 and 6A, if you had to choose between two identical RV's, one a 6 and on a 6A, which would you pick?

Also what did you figure a quality paint job would have cost you (or the new owner) assuming it was a basic one color with a stripe or two type paint job?

Over the last several years I have looked at several RV-6s with a view to purchasing. They all flew a like. The best value airplanes were never advertised, the owners responded to 'wanted' ads. Many owners don't enjoy selling their pride and joy and so will shake on the first reasonable offer close to their asking price. The good airplanes sell very fast, so be ready to travel.

The differences come in the detail construction work, engine installation, panel and paint work. There are many wacky panel layouts and shabby paint jobs on otherwise sound airplanes that will depress their value. A pre-buy from someone who knows RVs is very worthwhile.

Pete

I purchased my 2000 RV8 for $123,500 in 2006. It was extremly well built, with low hours. I have seen nicer paint jobs but was more concerned with craftsmanship. The previous owner/builder would not negotiate any further. I was glad to get it and would not part with it.

Back