What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up Canopy snapping

sglynn

Well Known Member
I can't be the only one that has this issue. I hope somebody offers a clue.

I'm nearly finished on my 7A and putting my tip-up canopy on for final time. When I open (lift up) the canopy I hear a snap at a certain place. Going down, no snap. I can find the exact spot and raise and lower the canopy an inch and repeat the snap, snap, snap, snap. But I can't find the cause. It happens at about 1/2 way up. Very repeatable and I think I can feel it near the midline.

It is not the front edge of the canopy sticking on the fwd top skin. I sounds near the hinge. I think it is the aft edge of the subpanel flange hitting the front of the canopy frame, but I can't see it happening. And I keep sanding the flange back with no affect. Maybe I need to go radical on it.

So anybody have a snap upon opening the tip-up canopy? What was it?

Steve,
I had the same problem.
It was the forward flange catching on the canopy.
Keep sanding the canopy or bend the forward flange down and then check.

Or have somebody open the canopy and see if you can spot.
A piece of tube can be used as stethoscope to isolate the snap sound too.

Hope it helps.

At the very front of the canopy, the canopy skin can rub/catch on the subpanel skin usually in the center.

Steve,
I had the same problem.
It was the forward flange catching on the canopy.
Keep sanding the canopy or bend the forward flange down and then check.

Or have somebody open the canopy and see if you can spot.
A piece of tube can be used as stethoscope to isolate the snap sound too.

Hope it helps.

Yes, I will file that flange back some more. That's where it sounds like it is coming from. It is not the two skin edges. Seen that, done that, fixed that. This is something hidden under the skin.

What about putting magic tape in the suspected areas and then see which part get scratched/damaged.

My canopy does that too. It isn't the skin, but is something much further down by the actual hinge holes. Tried various lubications with no difference. I've had the canopy on and off for painting and it just has always been snap/pop/creak everytime it opens/closes. I'm baffled too, but it hasn't been a problem in almost 5 years of flying. No signs of anything wearing, rubbing, catching in the hinge area.

It's the flange on the F-768 support seal catching on the front face of WD-716. Sand the flange until it doesn't catch. (Mine still does it on occasion...as noted, a light pull aft on the canopy while lifting prevents it).

Back