What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator tip assembly skin question

OrenAir

Page 9-08. Step2. I have the elevator built and the bottom skin on,and I have to cleco a tip assembly on. The tip assembly has that little counterbalance skin on it, and the skins occupy the same physical space. Is that normal? Do I put one under the other? If so, which one goes inside and which goes outside? Is the bottom skin outside, or is the counterbalance skin outside?

I suppose you?re building s 14. The counter balance skin will be underneath. Follow the steps very closely in the rivet steps. Easy to get ahead of yourself here. Ask me how I know! Tom

Page 9-08. Step2. I have the elevator built and the bottom skin on,and I have to cleco a tip assembly on. The tip assembly has that little counterbalance skin on it, and the skins occupy the same physical space. Is that normal? Do I put one under the other? If so, which one goes inside and which goes outside? Is the bottom skin outside, or is the counterbalance skin outside?

I was at this same place a couple of weeks ago and had the same question. After studying the plans, I saw that on page 09-08, Figure 3 shows the top skin placed on top of the counterbalance skin. Figure 2 shows the same thing for the bottom skin, but isn't as clear where the counterbalance skin is placed WRT the lower skin. I reasoned that the upper and lower skin WRT the counterbalance skin would be the same.

To confirm, I called Vans builder support and they verified my assumption was correct.

A couple of days later I ran across this note on page 09-22 between steps 1 and 2: "NOTE: The E-913 Counterbalance Skins lie underneath the skins."

I was looking at both the Vans Rv14s at oshkosh. Both elevator counterbalance skins were done different. The taildragger was done correctly with counterbalance skin underneath and the A model was over the top. Pointed it out to the guys and they said probably either way is fine. Glad I did mine per the instructions. Think it looks nicer.

Back