What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 Question

chrispratt

Well Known Member
I know this sounds very basic and may become obvious once I start the process, but I am ready to do the calibration on my two G5 units and I have a question:

Do I calibrate both units at the same time or does this need to be done separately, i.e. should I have both units turned on during calibration?

I plan to use one G5 as the PFD and the other as an HSI. This is a stand alone installation, the units are connected only to a GMU 11 magnetometer. Otherwise no other input. CAN network is being used: one terminator at the GMU 11 and one at G5 #2 unit.

I don't find this info anywhere in my documents and I have given up ever finding anything useful on the Garmin website.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone having done this setup (successfully, of course).:)

Chris

I know this sounds very basic and may become obvious once I start the process, but I am ready to do the calibration on my two G5 units and I have a question:

Do I calibrate both units at the same time or does this need to be done separately, i.e. should I have both units turned on during calibration?

I plan to use one G5 as the PFD and the other as an HSI. This is a stand alone installation, the units are connected only to a GMU 11 magnetometer. Otherwise no other input. CAN network is being used: one terminator at the GMU 11 and one at G5 #2 unit.

I don't find this info anywhere in my documents and I have given up ever finding anything useful on the Garmin website.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone having done this setup (successfully, of course).:)

Chris

Hello Chris,

Level the aircraft per the instructions in the G5 installation manual, then calibrate each G5 unit, one at a time, before moving the aircraft so they will both have the identical pitch/roll offset.

Page 8-12 of the Rev. 02 G5 Installation manual says:

"NOTE: In a G3X system, or a non-G3X system with multiple G5 units, if the pitch/roll offset procedure is performed for one unit, it should be performed on all other G3X AHRS units or G5 units before moving the aircraft."

Let us know if you have additional questions. [email protected]

Thanks,
Steve

Results

Steve;

Thanks for the advice on configuring my G5 standalone setup. The picture below shows the result after calibration. Obviously not all of the G5?s capabilities are being used since it?s a standalone setup but it still provides quite a bit of information in one place.

Wondering what the white box with exclamation mark means in the lower left of the PFD next to the slip-skid indicator? I don?t see a list of error message icons in the pilot reference guide.

NOTE: The configuration manual does not give any sort of time frame to expect when performing the magnetometer calibration (Procedure E). Perhaps it varies by location. As a data point, my first attempt was at 52F (Northwest Regional) in the run-up area and I waited 20 minutes with no change in the test screen. I gave up and then flew to KXBP (Bridgeport). On the ramp there it took a little over 7 minutes and then moved to the first ?right turn? instruction, and went fairly rapidly after that.

Thanks again. I appreciate your advice and monitoring this site.

Chris

The exclamation point means there's a message. You can bring up the messages using the knob.

Back