What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sub Panel - Check my layout

Zazoos

Well Known Member
VFR Dynon Skyview single screen system with a pro x hub from Approach.

This is what I am thinking for my sub panel layout. I should be able to reach everything on the sub panel through the screen hole in the panel and I think there is enough room for all the connectors as layed out in the photo below.

The only other two items that will have to go further on the right side is the transponder and the back up battery.

Let me know if you see anything I am overlooking.

subpanel.jpg

subpanel1.jpg

subpanel2.jpg

Just going through this now...

And ended up putting several modules on the forward side of the sub panel. I plan to have access panels on the skin fwd of the canopy so not a big deal. Suggest you make sure you have enough room for the fore/aft stiffeners that attach the sub to the main panel - looks like your EMS module will be pretty close to one of those, and to what I think is the tip up hinge cutout.

Kudos to you for thinking ahead though...

Lars

Wire harness

Trent,

Recommend connecting the wire harnesses for each of the boxes to include the coax. From the picture it looks like the fit will be tight.

Brian

You might.want to make a "hat section" to go over one of the.boxes to mount your battery on. I did that and it worked out great.

Also, put a hub back by the pitch servo. Then you can plug the servo, both AHRS, and the cable running to the hub behind the panel into it.

I am on the downward side of wiring my RV-6A. You can check out my kitlog link below to see how I did mine.

You're going to have to remove the ADSB 472 in order to get a short screwdriver onto the EMS DB9 connector if you ever need to access them later, but that may be an acceptable tradeoff. Once you've got the airplane up and flying you may only need to remove the lead to the EMS 5 times in the life of the airplane.

Some thoughts:
- With the big holes provide by the EFIS displays and ease of just taking the panel out when needed, there is no advantage to access panel(s) on the fusleage skin (and several disadvantages).
- I lot of people like the ganged D connector plate (or for that matter the special autopilot servo D connector plate). Both take up a lot of room. I typically splice pigtails to the network wires, each pigtail has a 9 pin D connector going to whatever Dynon module needed. This cuts down the number of D connectors behind the panel by 50% or so. I?m guessing I?m a contrarian on this so take it with a grain of salt.
- Recommend mounting the ADS-B receiver remotely near the ADS-B antenna (a lot less loss and less stuff behind the panel) Wire the box with four conductor, #22 shielded wire back to the SkyView, power breaker and ground.
- Leave room to add the ARINC module - at some point you might want to go IFR.

Carl

Here is my layout but it doesn't currently permit an IFR navigator installation.

My backup batteries are installed on the lateral supports in front of the sub-panel.

ZLsKS9Xl.jpg

Don't forget to use nutplates.

(I just examined an old panel that I built when I was about 25, very many years ago. No nutplates but many small nuts. Ugh!)

Dave

Back