What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Metal polishing and prep

JasonNoll

Well Known Member
Hello All-

Can any of you shed any light on what's involved with polishing the aluminum for that "warbird" look?

I also have some minor surface scratches. Is there such a substance that fills those?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Jason

Try PERFECT POLISH

Perfect Polish in Petaluma CA has a short video on how to polish aluminum on their web-site. He will also have all the supplies that you will need too.

Steve

The EAA has a video as well. http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=25190150001

This is done by a Sonex employee/builder. A lot of the Sonex aircraft are polished and I've found some interesting articles on the Sonexbuilders.net website. It's ok I also look at the canard builders website... :)

Sonex sells a starter kit for a fairly reasonable price and HF had a polisher on sale so I decided to take the jump. Hopefully this weekend I'll give it a try.

Bob

Polished Aluminum

It is a great deal of work. I have (semi) polished Swift. Nuvite and Cyclo polisher after compound polishing. Any thing but the most superficial scratches are difficult to remove. Sometimes sanding with fine sandpaper is first step.

Www.saginawwings.com is Swift website which has some polishing info as does the Swift Museum. They have a DVD which explains the Nuvite process.

Polished Aluminum

I have a polished 7A and have been using Nuvite S for the past few years. I've done all of the polishing by hand with a good supply of soft cotton towels. Yes, it takes some effort but it has become an addiction! Once I start, it's difficult to stop 'cause there's always somewhere on the skin that needs more polishing. For now, I'm quite happy with a polished plane along with a sense of satisfaction when it glistens in the sun.

Jim Diehl 7A
Based on Lock Haven, Pa.

I have never polished a plane but I had one with a polished prop on it.
I can tell you that it takes a lot of dedication and time to keep it looking good. I gave up after a few years and painted it.

My local mechanic, who "spent way too much time keeping a Beech 18 polished" says if you really can't be convinced to paint the whole plane, at least paint the bottom with a late 80's Toyota Silver metallic. "Won't impress judges, but will fool most everyone else." He also reccomends "Magic Mix Metal Polish" rather than NuVite. I am a lazy man, and will soon be taking his advice. Maybe some vinyl invasion stripes and such soon after.

Back