What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Go pro mount

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
How do you Guys and Gals keep a GOPro Camera mounted on your wing,tail, under the belly etc.
I am considering buying one not sure what model or mounts to buy.

Thanks
Smilin' Jack

I use the tripod mount for the GoPro and a bushing from camera store to get it up to the 3/16" for the tie down rings. GoPro can be pointed forward, sideways or down. I prefer the down looking for recon work. Make sure you get the wifi model that can link to your iPad. Although there is a fair delay in the view finder, it is great to be able to switch on and off, as well as change modes from video to photos and back. Get the extra battery though...wifi sucks the onboard battery very quickly.

If you haven't got a GoPro yet, consider the new Garmin Virb. It's a great piece of kit, rugged and easy to use. Produces great results too.

Garmin include an adaptor in their selection of mounts that lets you fit the Virb to anywhere you previously had a GoPro too.

I just stuck one of the adhesive backed mounts to my fiberglass tip. The other thing I did was wire up a watertight USB port behind my tip strobe so the camera can run from ships power. I can shoot as much or as little video without worrying about battery capacity..... the wireless control is a touch flakey though.

The fuel cap makes a great mount, also. Drill a blind hole about 1/2" deep (not through!) tap 1/4-20 using a bottoming tap. Then make a 1/4-20 stud about 3/4" long. LockTite the stud in the GoPro tripod mount with about 3/8 sticking out, then install the assembly on the fuel cap. A small amount of trimming of the tripod mount will allow refueling without removing the mount.

Take one of the flat mounts that come with it and drill and countersink a hole through the middle of it. You can then just remove a screw wherever you like on the plane and replace with a tad bit longer screw through the flat mount. I have one on my wing tip right now.. also just got the suction cup mount for xmas that worked great attached to my panel for the inside the cabin selfie shot :D

Planearound

Mike you are correct....

I got mine this weekend. And the part that attaches to the camera screws into your tiedown ring holder under the wing as well. Just need to remember to change the settings on the GoPro as the camera will be upside down. First class piece of hardware!

GP001.jpg

GP002.jpg

I like to keep things simple. I'm also lazy.:D

Here's my GoPro mount, made from the mounting bracket that the GoPro is mounted to IN THE BOX when you buy it.

(Sorry, I'm on my tablet and can't figure out how to copy a picture URL. Here's a link to the picture.):

https://app.box.com/s/yifw45cb6bfkxcsq9kfp

Countersink four screwholes to match your wingtip screws. You can rotate it 90 degrees, and mount it either top or bottom. Total cost: $0.00. It works great! Here are the videos I've made while using it:

http://www.ameliaslanding.com/port_aransas_videos.htm

Enjoy!

I received a Gopro for Christmas and used the packaging mount as well for the first flight with the camera. I don't know that I'd trust it long term, and I did use button-head screws and large area washers to secure it - and duct tape... Call me paranoid.

I also drilled holes at a 45, although I haven't tried it mounted that way. $30 for that planearound wingtip mount sounds like cheap peace of mind.

Choice for mount

FWIW, I used the method Brian descibed - mounting the supplied oval shaped fixture with one screw on the wing tip - for a couple years with an original GoPro.
Never had any trouble but upgraded to one of Sean's machined mounts (Planearound.com) and love it. Nice thing is the mount can be screwed into one of the tie downs (wing or tail) and get another perspective on things.

Careful this stuff is addicting.

Back