What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rapco brake disc

Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
Anyone have experience with Rapco brake discs?
They are $80 ea. from ACS. Clevelands are $165 ea. from Vans.

Anyone have experience with Rapco brake discs?

I put Rapco RA64-01700 discs on my Long-EZ's 5.00 X 5 wheels a couple of years ago and have been pleased with them. I suppose a couple of years of Long-EZ time translates to about ten years of RV time with respect to brake use :)

--
Joe

yep

mel, we recently put Rapco Discs and linings on the RV7a. Quality looks great, but we did have to install some 1/16" spacers in the brake assembly to get the necessary spacing around the rotor. it was odd as we could not see or measure any difference in dimensions between that and the cleveland stuff we took out?

Other than that, they work great. We tried to take the spacers out the other day but they have still not worn down enough.

mel, we recently put Rapco Discs and linings on the RV7a. Quality looks great, but we did have to install some 1/16" spacers in the brake assembly to get the necessary spacing around the rotor. it was odd as we could not see or measure any difference in dimensions between that and the cleveland stuff we took out?
Other than that, they work great. We tried to take the spacers out the other day but they have still not worn down enough.

That's interesting. That seems to indicate that the Rapco discs are thicker. I've been using Rapco linings for a lot of years and been very happy with them.
Thanks for the replies.

Been using Rapco brake linings almost exclusively. I planned to use their discs last time I replaced mine but they were always out of stock so purchased the Cleveland discs. The Rapco stuff that I have used was as good as the originals that Rapco copied for less money.

Mel, I just installed thicker discs for better cooling ("A" model) and longer pad life.
I used Rapco discs #RA164-0990 $84.90 each. I also needed 4 AN4H16A bolts at $.59 each. I made 1/8" shims to allow for the 50% increase in disc thickness. They look great.

Looks like the stock replacement for Rapco should be RA164-01700.

Last edited:
Rapco Discs

I've had them on my 6A for a few hundred hours and I see no difference in thickness. For half the cost, I'm real happy with them Mel.

Mel,

If you just installed some arresting gear at Shortstop, you wouldn't need new brake disks.... :)

Mel,

If you just installed some arresting gear at Shortstop, you wouldn't need new brake disks.... :)

My discs are fine. I hardly use them. This is for a customer's airplane.

Besides, I do have arresting gear. It's more commonly known as a railroad!

Mel, I just installed thicker discs for better cooling ("A" model) and longer pad life.
I used Rapco discs #RA164-0990 $84.90 each. I also needed 4 AN4H16A bolts at $.59 each. I made 1/8" shims to allow for the 50% increase in disc thickness. They look great.

Looks like the stock replacement for Rapco should be RA164-01700.

Would that be 09900 in the part #? Got a pic of the shim you made?

Yes, 09900. The shim is 1/8" and is cut to the same profile as the surface of the back plate. You also must use 1/8" longer bolts.

The disc bolt pattern is the same too? Hat section is the same overall height? Researching I can't find another disc in their reference material mating to a 40-78 or 40-215 wheel as the 01700 series disc. :confused:

Edit: Okay, got a PM from Drake... same drum as in the upgrade kit. Got it all figured out.

Last edited:
Back