What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sweat stains on Aluminium

woodsideraff

Well Known Member
I find that my shiny aluminium skins have been stained by sweat from my hands and forearms during construction. (It's HOT here in SC). To my surprise, the chemicals from my body seem to have etched the Alclad!

Does anyone know how to remove these stains without harming the Al? I've tried Alcohol, Acetone, Bug and Tar remover, Fantastik, and Bug Blaster. None of these work.

Thanks and regards,

Rafael

I don't have an answer to your question, but I believe sweat from someone crawling in the tail of our '66 v-tail Bonanza is what caused some corrosion. I'd think it's best to address your situation now rather than later. -Jim

Rafael, you've essentially put salt water on the aluminum with your sweat. The only sure fire way to make sure the corrosion cells are stopped is an acid etch and alodine treatment of the spots. You can spot treat it and you'll be fine. This happened to me when I built a Christen EagleII, and I sweated while assembling the turtle deck. I did the etch and alodine treatment and never had any problems later.

Just go to your local Autozone and get some Mothers Mag polish.....for aluminum/chrome. You can remove the stains very easily:). If the metal is actually pitted the process is a little more involved but still can be done:eek:.
Dave (Swift Driver)

Just go to your local Autozone and get some Mothers Mag polish.....for aluminum/chrome. You can remove the stains very easily:). If the metal is actually pitted the process is a little more involved but still can be done:eek:.
Dave (Swift Driver)

Trust me, Swift drivers / owners know about keeping aluminum shiney. They are a favorite of mine! Especially the 200+ HP ones! :eek:

Rafael, I've been using Meguiar's aluminum polish "from the aviation section" at Pep Boy's. I use a soft micro fiber cloth to rub them out. I also live in SC and it's been 107+ in the hangar...

Rick

My bird has a bunch of polished AL on her. You would not believe how tempting it is for people to touch her...they can't help it. I usually do a walk around after having her in public and will wipe off any fingerprints with a paper towel soaked with Coleman lantern fuel. I usually take a couple of deep sniffs of the fuel while doing this...it makes me feel better about my last landing. :)

If I miss a spot and it turns into corrosion, I will chase it with Nuvite grade C.

I usually take a couple of deep sniffs of the fuel while doing this...it makes me feel better about my last landing. :)

Now that's Funny :D
Second the Nuvite--you may need some F7--depends on the age and depth of the problem areas.

unless you plan on keeping it unpainted don't worry about it...you wash it and prime it then anyway.

Why not wax it?

I have sweat stains on mine, which come off with polish.

I wanted to wax the areas that get them, but it seems like the polished aircraft religion does not approve. I'm not religious, I just want a lightweight unpolished aircraft until I paint it in 10 years or so.

Any thoughts on spot waxing on areas that get touched a lot??

John

Thanks for all your replies. One more concern

Thanks to y'all (as they say around here)!

I have one more concern: If I use any of the polishes suggested --- I understand not wax --- and if I decide later to paint the airplane, will any of these products affect the painting process?

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael

Its not easy! You are actually removing a tiny bit of the alclad surface. This is done with a lot of elbo grease. Other polishes may be more agressive...also expensive....but all take a lot of work. Try polishing a 65 year old airplane!:eek:
Dave (the Swift driver)

Mother's works fine. Use a $29 polisher (Black and Decker) and soft micro fiber bonnet to eliminate the elbow grease. Don't let the polish dry completely before removing it with a micro fiber towel. Also, any left over black streaks can be removed easily with acetone. I cleaned up the top of one wing in about 2hrs.

Rick

I find the Mothers works well but leaves the aluminum slightly hazy whereas Nuvite-S shines like a mirror.

Back