What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flopper canopy

sailvi767

Well Known Member
I am looking at options to replace my RV6 that was sold. I have a question on flopper canopies. A very close personal friend who looks exactly like me once took off in the RV6 with the canopy unlatched. No real issue on a tipup. If a flopper canopy is in the closed position but not properly latched what happens? Is it going to depart the aircraft ASAP or will it stay at lower air speeds.
How do most handle a flopper canopy in the summer. Is it generally acceptable to taxi with it fully open or generally is there a intermediate position used.

George

Side tippers will depart like right now (by design), if not secured. It's happened to others, and would have happened to me on climbout, if my fingers hadn't been curled over the latch rod when the unsecured latch popped out. I was able to hold it down at low air speed until I got around the pattern to land.

Charlie

Don’t leave it unlatched. Use a flow and back it up with a checklist like the professionals do! I also have a warning light and audio anoncemnt at 2,200rpm if the canopy is not secure on my -4. I absolutly Love the idea the canopy will definitely depart the airplane if I pull The handle. I fly with a parachute and unlike most all non -4 Van’s it’s going to be hard to get the canopy open to bail out in time.

How do you normally have it configured for taxi?
G

I make sure that if it isn?t latched it is open enough to be very obvious. I once started a takeoff roll with it almost completely closed but not latched.

I taxi with it anywhere from all the way back to open 6? or so, depending on weather.

Chris

There is no back for a side tip canopy. :)

Shawn makes the correct point: 'If it hurts when you do that, don't do that.'

For me, it was the classic chain (short, in this case) of getting distracted just as I started the latching process, and failed to pull the handle fully to seat the pins.

Charlie

6A

At normal climb/cruise speeds, a 6A slider canopy is almost impossible to slide forward those last few inches.

Use the checklist. Don't let ATC (Tower) confuse you when getting the last item on the checklist done.

I taxi with the canopy open a couple inches in the summer and closed in the winter. Pull it almost all the way forward before eng start.

That is why I asked. No checklist or backup is infallable. The professionals screw up checklist on a daily basis including minor items like flaps and power settings. I am trying to look at the pro’s and con’s of a flopper verses slider.
The ability to easily jettison the canopy in flight is a plus and gives wearing chutes some actual meaning. I know from teaching out of control flight for years how difficult to impossible exit from most Vans designs would be under real world conditions if the aircraft has departed controlled flight.
The other plus that has been pointed out to me is the ability to have a stronger rollover structure at least in the Harmon/F1 rockets. Better visability and easier instrument panel access are also pluses. Personally however I have never found a canopy bow much of a visibility issue.
The cons seem to center around looks and ground taxi where the slider wins both categories. I still don’t quite understand how you taxi with a flopper. I gather most have some type of secondary restraint system so the can hold it partially opened. I have searched for pics but can’t find any.
Edit: found a nice pic of a RV4 taxing out with some type of latch mechanism holding the canopy about 4 inches open.
G

Last edited:
PM me your email address, & I'll send you a couple of pics showing a taxi latch on a -4 (I no longer waste time/effort posting pics here). It's supposed to have a 'safety' function to keep it from unlatching either open or closed during taxi, but I never trust it; I always have my fingers holding it in the latched-open position if I'm moving.

IIRC, my 1st -4 didn't have that taxi latch installed, but I doubt it would have mattered since the unsecured (my carelessness) main latch pins weren't seated completely and the lifting force is quite high at speed.

FWIW, I consider it an extra risk, but not a significant or unmanageable one. Same idea as taildragger vs nosewheel. I've been flying -4s since 1994, and my latch incident was sometime in the late '90s.

Also FWIW, if you think you'll ever use the jettison feature in flight (chutes), pay attention to the support method used to hold the canopy open. There have been many designs over the years, and some are likely strong enough to hold onto the canopy long enough for it to decapitate the backseater, or swing it around into the tail.

Charlie

Back