What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exxon Elite discontinued-

Hartstoc

Well Known Member
I’ve been using Exxon Elite 20-50 for some time because it contains the Lycoming anti-scuff additive, but the product has been discontinued. Thinking of just going to Aeroshell 100W, though I’ve always been a fan of semi-senthetic multi-viscosity oils.

My engine was oprated on Phillips 20-50 for its first 330 hrs by the previous owner, but I became suspicious of the fact that it remained essentially clean and colorless right up to change-time, and when I switched to a constant speed prop the crankshaft cavity had an ungodly accumulation of black sludge inside. This is normal but the amount was shocking for a low-time engine.

Sure enough, as soon as I switched to Exxon Elite the oil quickly started accumulating a black color, indicating to me that it was doing its job of keeping by-products in suspension so they could be removed with an oil change. The difference was dramatic.

I’ve seen a lot of wear and ring-cokeing with engines running Aeroshell 15/50 so that is out. I’ve got a few changesworth of Exxon Elite on the shelf, but will eventually have to decide.

Any opinions on issues related to going from the multi-vis semi-synthetic to the straight 100W?- Otis

Last edited:
I hope not!

I’ve been using Exxon Elite 20-50 for some time because it contains the Lycoming anti-scuff additive, but the product has been discontinued. Thinking of just going to Aeroshell 100W, though I’ve always been a fan of semi-senthetic multi-viscosity oils.
Otis

Otis, where did you hear this? I've been ordering mine from here since day one, 2006: https://www.eliteetc.com/
I just went to the site and there is no mention of it being no longer available.
I hope it's still available my engine looks great inside and I want to continue to use it.

I just did a Bing search and found this :-( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSaGPzPsS4k

Thanks for the heads up Otis!

Last edited:
Any opinions on issues related to going from the multi-vis semi-synthetic to the straight 100W?- Otis

Aeroshell W100 Plus is an AD oil and already has the scuff additive. Like you, I prefer semi-synthetic multigrade, but I know of nothing to prevent a switch to straight weight AD.

I would be willing to bet if you pulled your prop today, you would still see sludge in the crankshaft. There is no oil available to prevent it.

Otis, where did you hear this? I've been ordering mine from here since day one, 2006: https://www.eliteetc.com/
I just went to the site and there is no mention of it being no longer available.
I hope it's still available my engine looks great inside and I want to continue to use it.

I just did a Bing search and found this :-( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSaGPzPsS4k

Thanks for the heads up Otis!

Bobby- thanks for the link- my purchase of 4-cases was accepted so if it is indeed delivered, I?ll be in business for quite a while, but the price was dear!- Otis

I would be willing to bet if you pulled your prop today, you would still see sludge in the crankshaft. There is no oil available to prevent it.

Bob- I’m sure you are correct, but it is a matter of degree. With constant speed, the only oil that makes it into that cavity must enter and leave through the governor with pitch changes, so accumulation is very slow. With a fixed pitch, all oil is finding its way in and out of there constantly. I don’t think the accumulation I saw at 330 hrs TT would have been Quite so thick if the oil had better suspended the junk, but who knows.

As I understand it, some Lycoming engineer many decades ago hit upon the idea of intentionally making that hollow section of the crank bigger than the entry and exit points, creating a natural centrifugal debris trap. All I know is that nothing that gets stuck there ever leaves until someone comes along ang scrapes it out!- Otis

Last edited:
A lead scavenger additive for your fuel such as Decalin or TCP does a good job at keeping lead out of your oil. I highly recommend it. I pulled the prop on my RV-6 and had almost no sludge in the bore. I run mostly mogas but use 100LL on trips, and always add Decalin.

Back