What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle and Flight Control Modifications

kevinsky18

Well Known Member
I've read in a few posts of people updating their throttle controls saying that they are an improvement over what Vans offers. What make, models are people using instead of Vans?

Also, I really like the look of the control stick with the fighter grip and extra buttons. Again where are people getting these from?

I think the throttle is a modification that a builder makes. However, I don't think hes into doing them anymore. I could be wrong.

The grips are Infinity. I have one, they look cool but feel a little cheap. But you can't get anything that compares to them for the price. The place I work supplies the grips for the C-17 so I guess I had some preconceived notions that the infinity's were the same or almost the same.

http://www.infinityaerospace.com/infgrip.htm

Hi Kevin

I just used the Ray Allen G207 (or whatever number it is). I find that I need to switch hands every once in a while to do stuff, and one of those fighter grips would not be very comfortable.

90% of your flying will be done with your thumb and one or two fingertips. Anything else and you'd be overcontrolling.

YMMV

kevinsky18 said:
I've read in a few posts of people updating their throttle controls saying that they are an improvement over what Vans offers. What make, models are people using instead of Vans?

Also, I really like the look of the control stick with the fighter grip and extra buttons. Again where are people getting these from?
The grips are called Infinity and the buttons can be wired any way you like. The designer is James D. Newman an ex-F-14 pilot who was dissatified with the grips available to general aviation. When he got out of the service and with seed money provided by a friend, he designed the Infinity to be 75% scale of the full size grips used in the F-14 and F-15. According to him, since general avaition pilots do not usually wear gloves, 75% scale was adequate for our purposes.

So satified with its quality, I'm installing an Infinity into the current project and wired exactly the same way as the first. Give J.D a call and he will be happy to discuss your needs. I think the current going price is around $175.

Ditto all Rick said about the Infinity grip - I really like mine!

The throttle upgrade you might be thinking about is just the "Deluxe" quadrant that Van's sells...made by DJM if I recall correctly. I like the way it feels as well.

Paul

The DJM throttle quadrant and Andair fuel selctor valve were a couple of upgrades chose for my -8. They are not necessary but are nice . And what is another few hundred bucks more at this point .... :eek:

My $.02 on quadrants & grips

I installed the Infinity grips in my RV8 and really like them. They give you many options for utilizing switch positions and types. I think they are really suited to the RV8 and look great. I have no regrets in using them.
I also installed a DJM quadrant. Dayton is great to work with and even made a matching co-pilot throttle lever for me for next to nothing. Additionally, you have the choice of using his bolt in replacement or one of his other quadrants and changing things around a bit. I went with the curved top quadrant and built it into consoles, which I really like. Again, they work great and no regrets.
There are other choices. Team Rocket offers a really nice looking quadrant, too. A friend of mine has this one in his RV8 and it looks really good!!
It's really mostly personal preference, but I do think that the quality of some of the after market stuff, like the DJM quadrants, is better than the standard components from VAN's. (But, as always...Buyer Beware!)

Throttle Quads., stick grips, etc

Another grip you might consider is the "Flight Grip, LLC" produced locally....for me anyway. This grip was formerly known as "Auotmatic Flagman" and was sold mostly to the ag part of the industry. It`s designed along the lines of the Infinity grip and others although it`s a bit simpler in lay out. (not as many switches, buttons, etc.) This is the grip I installed in my -8 and I`m happy with it. Seems like I paid about $100 or so, with a STSP trigger switch for com ptt, not including the little "coolie hat" switch that I already had (from Van). The Flight Grip guy stocks the same coolie hat. I`m sure you could load it up like an Infiniti with all the switches if you wanted to. I chose to keep mine pretty simple. His number in Milton-Freewater, OR is: 800-204-7625, or, 541-938-0533..........Dave Brand N254LF

kevinsky18 said:
Is the Andair Fuel Selector an upgrade through Vans or do you have to order that from somone else?

Andair fuel valves can be ordered from Van's

cat-med_fuel-selector-valve.jpg

As far as the Infinity grips, I ordered one and after a phone call from JD I ended up getting two. He makes a good argument as why you need two of them.

Right_Grip_rt_rear_3-4_view.jpg

Each one is made to order and there are 65,536 different combinations of buttons and switches that can be had. It's up to your imagination and equipment you have in your plane as to what you might do with all of those options. I don't think they appear or feel cheap but that is a matter of opinion.

To get a feel for the possibilities, take a look at Danny King's cockpit tour then check out Infinity Aerospace grip page for even more info.

Last edited:
With the infinity can you actually reach all the buttons with just your flight hand and still retain definative control of the flight stick? Some of the buttons look like they would be a bit awkward to reach, especially during critical flight times such as on approach.

kevinsky18 said:
With the infinity can you actually reach all the buttons with just your flight hand and still retain definative control of the flight stick? Some of the buttons look like they would be a bit awkward to reach, especially during critical flight times such as on approach.
I had just the opposite problem. I found that when gripping the Infinity grip, I was inadvertently hitting buttons. That's why I went with the teak wood grip. You can actually grip it without your fingers resting on buttons. Imho, you gotta go "try out" these grips before you decide. Use what you find comfortable & functional. I was totally set on using an Infinity grip (because of how many functions it supports) until I actually put my hand on one. YMMV!!!

Back