What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Innodyn Turbine Engines

Ploxhoi said:
The fact is the efficiency of modern turboshaft engines.

( 255 shp * .42 lb/shp/hr ) / 6.7 lb/gal = 15.99 gal/hr

There are also many modern turbines with efficiencies around .45 lb/shp/hr.

( 255 shp * .42 lb/shp/hr ) / 6.7 lb/gal = 17.13 gal/hr

As your post indicates, that big Rolls-Royce engine has 14 stages of axial compression (pressure ratio 10:1 or so), compared to a one-stage centrifugal compressor for the Innodyn (3:1 or so). Compression ratio is a huge driver of efficiency...that's simple thermodynamics. The impressive SFC of that RR turbine is because of that simple fact, not any "modernity," if I may invent a word. There are very old turboprops that achieve impressive SFCs too...mostly by having many, many stages of compression.

The Innodyn is not really a modern turbine engine. It's a 40-year-old engine made with modern manufacturing methods and metallurgy, and controlled by a modern fuel controller. That will, admittedly, improve the SFC somewhat, but not by a factor of 2 or 3. The Solar T62, upon which the Innodyn is based, has an SFC of 1 to 1.3 lbs/hp-hr.

Please explain how modern manufacturing methods and an electronic ECU improve the SFC from 1 to 0.45 lbs/hp-hr.

Ploxhoi said:
You guys have no right to be bashing Innodyn for their burn rate when you have absolutely nothing backing yourselves up.
Let's set the record straight, shall we? There is plenty of information.

Open the "hood" of a modern turbine and it is anything but simple. Yes there is "one moving part", but that's where "simple" ends.....and manufacturing that "one moving part" is among the most complex and expensive processes known to man.

Virtually any piston engine above a lawn mower is more efficient BSFC than a state-of-the-art turbine costing $20 million.

By Innodyne's own admission, their "engine" is based on a Solar T62 APU, a well known power-generator unit (never designed for flight OR continuous operation) from the 1960's with very "known" terrible BSFC rates in the 1.4 lb/hp/hr range

Ploxhoi said:
The fact is the efficiency of modern turboshaft engines.
( 255 shp * .42 lb/shp/hr ) / 6.7 lb/gal = 15.99 gal/hr

There are also many modern turbines with efficiencies around .45 lb/shp/hr.

( 255 shp * .42 lb/shp/hr ) / 6.7 lb/gal = 17.13 gal/hr
The key word here is "modern". The Innodyne design is not modern by any standards. You are applying ".42" to Innodyne when you have no basis to make that calculation other than Innodyne's unsubstantiated (and unprovable) claims. The only turbines making .42 are enormous engines costing many $millions apiece and are far from "simple".

In lay terms, turbine efficiency (and power) is a direct funtion of the number and size of the compressor stages COMBINED with the FADEC control. As for Innodyne's "FADEC", this is vaporware UNTIL someone actually sees it and tests it INDEPENDENTLY. The "test" at Patuxtant was nothing of the kind.

Ploxhoi said:
Problem with most turbine manufactures is they are making high power engines for commercial and military applications, not small aircraft.
Check the news for the past few years..... there's been a bit of activity in the VLJ segment and quite a few small turbofans from the likes of Pratt&Whitney, Williams and Honda-GE who spend millions developing these engines. While these engines are never sold "retail", you can safely assume at least $400k apiece.

Ploxhoi said:
Give Innodyn some credit, thank you.
They need to earn credibility by demonstrating proven numbers and transparent engineering....just like everyone else.

Ploxhoi said:
BTW you all should know testing and documentation for the FAA takes forever.
Not true. A clean-sheet engine takes 3-4 years, assuming the engine design is "ready to go" at the outset of the certification process. I've done several "clean-sheets", both piston and turbine. Contrary to popular myths, FAA is very cooperative and just as interested in seeing new engines get to market as the rest of us (no I don't work for FAA).

Let's suppose for a moment that Innodyne was thinking "Certification":
Because the Solar design is known to the FAA, certification of Innodyne's modified version would take no more than 24 months BUT the Solar was never designed for primary flight....which puts it into PMA category.

Testing and certifying an engine by itself is quite simple.
The biggest hurdle in any "major" or "primary to flight" FAA certification (engine, airframe or propeller) is PMA certification, i.e. the manufacturing process MUST be certified as well. This requires very elaborate tracking of components and processes all the way back to the raw materials. And every supplier must also be PMA certified. This is a highly rigorous and expensive requirement, which is why "any old supplier" is out of the question for certificated engines. Thus PMA consumes most of the 3-4 years.

To obtain a PMA, Innodyne would either need to develop a full production process in-house OR utilize PMA-approved suppliers all the way back to the foundry. In the turbine sector, the manufacturing of compressor disks requires IMMENSELY EXPENSIVE equipment and precision metallurgy. As for outsourcing, there are zero (0) PMA'd suppliers willing to manufacture compressor disks for "3rd party" designs such as Innodyne.

Ploxhoi said:
I am sure they are doing what they can to push this turbine through the FAA and get certification.
Innodyne has no (stated) plans to obtain FAA certification. See "PMA".

Certification isn't required for Experimental....but it DOES provide a major level of confidence to the 99.9% of "experimental" builders who are really not interested in being true test pilots.

Which is why any engine manufacturer that is serious about selling more than 15 engines will get FAA certification for PMA and for propulsion combinations (propellers, fuel systems, FADEC, etc.).

The final hurdle is obtaining airframe combinations....which entails very extensive (expensive) engineering, vibration-, stress- and flutter analysis.

Even at the experimental level
, these efforts are virtually mandatory for any major airframe designer (Van's....) to "bless" a new engine. And that would be AFTER a long series of successful, trouble-free flights.

As for "design approval", any experimental airframe manufacturer with a brain (i.e. Van) would NEVER formally "design around an engine" until the engine is proven first. And the only way to prove it -- for aviation purposes -- is to certify it.

For those of you keeping score at home, Thielert/Superior and Rotax are the only engine mfrs. that stand a chance of making it into Van's catelog anytime soon.

Last edited:
Efficient turboshaft engines do not have to be massive.

LHTEC T800-LHT-801 Turboshaft Engine

* Type: Dual spool, free shaft turboshaft
* Inlet: Axial with integral active particle separator system
* Compressor: Two stage centrifugal
* Burner: Annular, reverse flow
* Turbine: Dual spool, two stage axial gas producer turbine, two stage power turbine
* Exhaust: Rearward axial flow, single exit exhaust outlet
* Power Rating: 1,563 shaft horsepower at 23,000 rpm (takeoff rating)
* Rated Torque Output: 356 lb/ft @ 23,000 rpm
* Peak Torque: 676 lb/ft
* Weight: 315 lbs.
* Power/weight: 4.9:1
* Compression Ratio: 14.6:1
* Air Mass Flow: 10.0 lbs/sec @ 44,850 rpm
* Specific Fuel Consumption: .45 lb/shp/hr

That turbine isn't massive, and there are plenty of others with similar efficiencies in this size or slightly larger.

Just too much power for many light aircraft.

Being based on the Solar T62 APU does not mean its a clone and modified T62 are a lot more efficient than 1.4 lb/hp/hr. (1.2 - 0.85 lb/hp/hr)

Also the T62 is qualified for use in aircraft, helicopters, vessels and ground power units.

Why can't Innodyn's turbine have a 0.47 lb/shp/hr rating?

Why isn't Innodyn's engine design modern, even if they have based it on the T62?

BTW here is a quote from Innodyn's website.

Innodyn is currently working with regulatory experts to conduct a feasibility study to determine precisely which tests will need to be completed to provide appropriate certification data to the Federal Aviation Administration, and expects to have more information on this process and company plans in January 2005.

Looks like they are considering certification, of course their turbine is still experimental at this time.

Yes their site needs a lot of updating.

What is best for RV'ers not Innodyn

Ploxhoi said:
Give Innodyn some credit, thank you.
When Credit is due? :rolleyes:

When it comes to taking money from fellow pilot/builders who will put their lives and lives of their passengers on the line behind this power plant, I think criticism and review is in order.

No one needs to sugar coat or blow smoke up the companies flag poll, when that flag poll has some red flags waving around all ready.

Feel free to ignore all advice and comments and be an Innodyn cheer leader, but common sense would say be careful. There are some members of this list who work in the turbine engine field who have made great points.

Sure we would all hope its everything every kerosene dreamer could hope for, but aviation is not for dreamers. There is hard facts and the ground is very hard when it Cometh up and Smite Ye Mightily. I just don't want builders to get ripped off or worse, hurt.

Last edited:
Fuel Flow data

You guys have no right to be bashing Innodyn for their burn rate when you have absolutely nothing backing yourselves up
Let's see, sitting in the cockpit, with the turbine running at the low power setting, looking at the Shadin fuel flow indicating slightly less than 20 GPM. I'd say this merits saying their fuel flow's not what it's cracked up to be!
There are legitimate numbers out there to back up greater fuel flow numbers than they are claiming! The -4 is not the only RV that was ever flying, even though it's flights were limited.
As has been previously stated, be very cautious of what you're told by these folks.
And, while we're at it, what happened to the fellow who has one of these in his -8?

T-62 Originally Designed for Helicopter

The Solar T-62 Turbine was originally designed for a helicopter.

I see Rolls Royce has a new smaller turbine out:

Rolls-Royce RR300 to power new Robinson helicopter
02 March 2007
Orlando, FL: Rolls-Royce, a world-leading provider of power systems and services, will supply a new turboshaft engine to power Robinson Helicopter Company?s new R66 rotorcraft, it was announced today at Heli Expo.

The new RR300 engine represents a major step forward in the helicopter industry by providing 300 shaft horsepower at takeoff, excellent hot and high performance and outstanding value. The RR300 makes Rolls-Royce turbine power available in the lower shp range.

The new R66 model, a five-seater, is Robinson Helicopter Company?s first venture into gas turbine-powered rotorcraft and will complement the company?s existing line of piston-powered aircraft.

Rolls-Royce expects FAA type certification by 2008 with full-rate production to follow. Under the agreement with Robinson Helicopter, Rolls-Royce will provide several hundred RR300 engines in upcoming years.

Rolls-Royce is the world-leading producer of light turbine engines in the helicopter market. The Model 250 line has produced nearly 30,000 engines, with approximately 16,000 currently in service worldwide in a wide range of aircraft styles.

The RR300 embodies new technology and advanced design methodology. The engine draws on the proven record of other Rolls-Royce turbine powerplants to deliver a powerful, dependable engine at a competitive price.

Key attributes of the RR300 include: lower acquisition and operating costs; low-weight, compact design; improved specific fuel consumption; an embedded engine monitoring system; and an optional, through-life, peace-of-mind maintenance program.

The new aircraft deal brings together two industry-leading rotorcraft companies.

Scott Crislip, President Helicopters & Small Gas Turbine Engines for Rolls-Royce, said, ?We are honored to join with Robinson Helicopter Company on its first turbine-powered aircraft, the R66. We anticipate a great future partnership on this industry-changing aircraft. The RR300 engine represents the latest technology in turbine power and once again Rolls-Royce is leading the way. You will see big things from this small engine.?

Robinson Helicopter Company is the world's leading producer of civil helicopters and is known for its high performance, reliable aircraft.

Founded by Frank Robinson, the company sold 806 rotorcraft in 2005, the most civil helicopter sales of any company in the previous 25 years. The company has produced more than 7,000 helicopters overall.

Designed for a helicopter, well kind of...

The only production helicopter that I can find that used the Solar T-62 was the Boeing-Vertol CH-47 "Chinook" as an APU running a hydraulic pump and a generator.

This discussion seems to have a life of it's own, here is an article from Sport Aviation 5 years ago:

http://www.eaa.org/benefits/sportaviation/RV-4T304.pdf

This was about "Affordable Turbine Engines" which morphed into Innodyne which, it appears, has morphed into obscurity.

John Clark
RV8 N18U
KSBA

John Clark said:
The only production helicopter that I can find that used the Solar T-62 was the Boeing-Vertol CH-47 "Chinook" as an APU running a hydraulic pump and a generator.

The T-62 was designed for a one man hlicopter that was never constructed. It was neverused for anything bu an apu unless you count the jet-exec and helicycles.

Nucleus

Fun with turbines!

Probably the biggest thing to remember is that fuel flow in a turbine is directly related to altitude, or more precisely density altitude. As an example, in the Turbo Commander, at altitude each engine is developing 600 hp. and using 260 pph.. If you could use an engine of this type in an RV, and scale it to our needs, you could interpolate say a quarter of this hp and fuel flow. You would be looking at 150 hp. with 65pph, or 9.7 gph. No one could complain about this except that you would have to be flying at FL 250-FL270 to achieve this! Unlikely in a Vans. Come down to the altitudes where we have to fly and you'll be installing drop-tanks. Sure, APU's are fuel hogs, but their normal operating conditions are running flat-out on the ramp!
One of the hardest things to scale down when you're building smaller engines is controlling the clearances. If you think about the compressor section of a jet engine in an airliner, you can imagine the spinning compressor blades with their tips being just a few thousandths of an inch from the housing. There are some compression losses here from these clearances, but the area of the compressor is great compared to the clearance loss. When you scale the engine down and try to use a much smaller diameter compressor, the ratios of loss from the required clearances increase greatly. What can be done to make up these losses? Build to much tighter tolerances? Expensive. Run the engine faster? More fuel required to do this, and possibly more exotic engine components=Expensive.
How much will you pay for a turbine engine for an RV when you know you can't operate it at an optimal altitude anyway? I really like the idea of a direct drive, two-stroke turbo-diesel when they become available, are proven reliable, don't add to the weight including their cooling system over what a Lycoming weighs, and when the whole package is consistent in price with a Lycoming/Lyclone. Rant over.

Ploxhoi said:
Efficient turboshaft engines do not have to be massive.
Being based on the Solar T62 APU does not mean its a clone and modified T62 are a lot more efficient than 1.4 lb/hp/hr. (1.2 - 0.85 lb/hp/hr)

Can I please have a link or a reference to a modification that makes the T62 more efficient? Thanks.

Ploxhoi said:
Why can't Innodyn's turbine have a 0.47 lb/shp/hr rating?

Because its pressure ratio is much too low. What have they changed that affects the thermodynamics?

Be realistic: if Rolls-Royce, GE, P&W and Honeywell could make engines with good SFCs with only one stage of compression, don't you think they would? Do you think that engine you quoted has 14 stages because they AREN'T necessary?

Thank you for that concise analysis!

CaptainRon, one word....

Brilliant!

Thanks for your very well articulated and extremely useful distillation of the design constraints regarding turbine engine efficiency.

Sometimes it just takes a particular perspective to make one say to themselves "Oh! Yeah! I see now."

I appreciate your providing a very useful perspective on this. The light bulb is on above my head, at least for the moment.

George

I was in Taylor Texas putting av gas in my plane on Saturday, and heard a turbine engine, looked up and then saw a single place helicopter pull up to the jet a pumps. It is called a Helicycle. Neato sweato toy... The guy flying it has been flying it for several years. Here is the link

http://www.helicycle.com/

the web site has pictures and videos of a number of them flying.

It uses the Solar T62 turbine

I saw that cool, but not for the RV

c177tx said:
I was in Taylor Texas putting av gas in my plane on Saturday, and heard a turbine engine, looked up and then saw a single place helicopter pull up to the jet a pumps. It is called a Helicycle. Neato sweato toy... The guy flying it has been flying it for several years. Here is the link

http://www.helicycle.com/

the web site has pictures and videos of a number of them flying.

It uses the Solar T62 turbine
Two things that are cool about that: 1) A little single seat chopper does not need much HP; 2) The chopper is already set-up with reduction drive (belt, box or whatever). In other words the Solar is better suited for the Helicycle than a RV. Also the chopper can work on constant RPM. As you load the main rotor you add gas to keep the rpm in normal range. Well that takes some pretty tricky fuel controller. Well there are some pretty smart tricky Chopper boys; Here is a cool site:

http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/Solar_T-62/body_solar_t-62.html

I agree it looks like a cool toy. Practical? I bet by the time its said and done its not cheap either with special controller, gear box and engine. Little helicopter with LOW mass rotors are also very scary when the engine stops. ** The mot common solar T-62's only make 75-95 hp; For reliability as I understand it you would not run 100%. Some models are like only 50 HP. Also there're losses in gear reduction. The early models (the ones you can find) have been out of production for +20 years, so parts I guess are either not available or cost a fortune, unless you find used parts.

Late model T-62's used for APU's in military applications like KC-135, Blackhawk and F-16 start cart/apu are no doubt not laying around.

The RV needs more power than the Solar T-62 can make; also airplanes don't work on constant (rotor / prop) RPM and a unique gear box reduction is needed.

Last edited:
mgomez said:
Can I please have a link or a reference to a modification that makes the T62 more efficient? Thanks.

Because its pressure ratio is much too low. What have they changed that affects the thermodynamics?

Be realistic: if Rolls-Royce, GE, P&W and Honeywell could make engines with good SFCs with only one stage of compression, don't you think they would? Do you think that engine you quoted has 14 stages because they AREN'T necessary?

LHTEC T800-LHT-801 Turboshaft Engine is a 2 stage engine with a 0.45 lb/shp/hr rating.

http://www.rolls-royce.com/defence_aerospace/downloads/helicopters/t800_2.pdf

Are you saying this is impossible?

I am sure the 14 stage design was meant for the high torque output.

http://www.eaa.org/benefits/sportaviation/RV-4T304.pdf

Thanks for the Article btw, great read.

200 hp @ 14 gal/hr which is roughly 0.47 lb/shp/hr for a modernized Solar T-62.

The fact is just like with automotive engines, improvements in manufacturing and technology have been made since 1960s.

Closer tolerances, better injectors, better sensors, better electronics, etc...

I have also worked in Research & Development and the process takes forever.

Documenting, refining, and most importantly getting patents to protect you product, this can takes years.

True I do not know what they are doing at Innodyn, but I am sure in time they will produce Turbines.

Other T62 projects includes Rotway's prototype they are working on.

http://www.epi-eng.com/RW-TRB-a-Conv.htm

Rotway's plans are for a 150 SHP turbine engine having a BSFC approaching 0.70 or ruohgly 16 gal/hr @ 150 hp.

The Innodyn project may be more advanced than Rotway, give the amount of time they have put in to the turbine so far.

If Rotoway is planning 6.0:1 compression, why can't Innodyn be going higher?

Here's a quoted BSFC for the T-62 of 1.3lb/hp.h. There is no way any turbine based on this technology will achieve much less than this.

al099350140.gif

The LHTEC T800-LHT-801 has a compressor pressure ratio of 14, whereas the T-62 will be lucky to be more than 3 or so. Anyone who understands turbines will tell you that the efficiency is related to pressure ratio. It also is pretty large, developing 1300-1700hp. These two reasons alone are enough to explain the acceptable BSFC figures.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the reason that turbines don't scale down very well is basically the surface-to-volume ratio is not going in your favour. As you scale down, you are pumping gas through an increasingly larger relative wetted area, so much of your power is eaten up moving the working fluid about. Whatever electronics and manufacturing technology you throw at it, you will never get past this fundamental principle.

A

A 14:1 pressure ratio, with two stages of centrifugal compression, is certainly possible...each stage has to have a pressure ratio (approx.) of sqrt(14), or 3.7. That pressure ratio, by the way, is one of the reasons that engine achieves a low SFC. Other things like its size and surface area also matter. Some things don't scale well.

That 14-stage AXIAL engine you quoted earlier in the thread has 14 stages because they're axial...each stage has less pressure ratio. Say 1.2 or so.

I'll be surprised if EPI gets 6:1 out of a single centrifugal stage in a T62-style engine. Remember...running a compressor takes power, and shaft power is also what they want OUT of the engine.

I'm sorry you don't seem to acknowledge my simple point: high compression is required for low SFC. I guess I'm done with this thread for awhile.

Not aware of any single stage centrifugal compressors capable of much more than 4 to 1 PRs in the size required for a 200hp engine.

A friend here has a T62 powered Exec helicopter around 150shp and he is burning around 13 US/ Gal. per hour if I remember correctly. Cool factor is there but this goes along with plenty of fuel stops. :cool: :(

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
Also the chopper can work on constant RPM. As you load the main rotor you add gas to keep the rpm in normal range. Well that takes some pretty tricky fuel controller.
The T62-based APP in the CH-53E has a mechanical fuel control that maintains 99-101.5% Ng speed, regardless of the load applied (hydraulics, generators). Very similar internally to a prop governor - flyweights, plunger, etc. Nothing too tricky, and it's been around since the '60s. It's all-or-nothing, though - there's no idle position on it. In the -53E, the APP goes from 0 to 100% in one shot. No telling how that fuel control would function with a prop...

Little helicopter with LOW mass rotors are also very scary when the engine stops.
Yep... not good for life expectancy.

The mot common solar T-62's only make 75-95 hp; For reliability as I understand it you would not run 100%. Some models are like only 50 HP. Also there're losses in gear reduction. The early models (the ones you can find) have been out of production for +20 years, so parts I guess are either not available or cost a fortune, unless you find used parts.

Late model T-62's used for APU's in military applications like KC-135, Blackhawk and F-16 start cart/apu are no doubt not laying around.
The T62 in the CH-53E (I think it is a T62T-26B, but I could be wrong - it's been a few years) is rated at 110shp, with an advertised fuel flow of 50-150pph depending on load.

There are thousands of T62's in DOD aircraft today. Parts aren't easy to come by... and since about '99 the Navy/Marine Corps has had to remove functioning T62's from their aircraft for turbine wheel replacement at the NADEP (Naval Aviation DEPot). Seems the vendor who manufactured the turbines had some quality issues, and several have fragmented during operation and "departed the fix" over the years. Kinda like the Lycoming crankshaft debacle... every 6 months or so a new list of affected serial numbers comes out, and a new group of people get to tear apart a functioning airplane.

mgomez said:
A 14:1 pressure ratio, with two stages of centrifugal compression, is certainly possible...each stage has to have a pressure ratio (approx.) of sqrt(14), or 3.7. That pressure ratio, by the way, is one of the reasons that engine achieves a low SFC. Other things like its size and surface area also matter. Some things don't scale well.

That 14-stage AXIAL engine you quoted earlier in the thread has 14 stages because they're axial...each stage has less pressure ratio. Say 1.2 or so.

I'll be surprised if EPI gets 6:1 out of a single centrifugal stage in a T62-style engine. Remember...running a compressor takes power, and shaft power is also what they want OUT of the engine.

I'm sorry you don't seem to acknowledge my simple point: high compression is required for low SFC. I guess I'm done with this thread for awhile.

Read this, and please understand the specs you list are based on a 1960s design. You guys act like no advances in any technology have occurred at since then.

http://www.vtol.org/pdf/2006PSUundergrad.pdf

Also note they quote 17 gal/hr with a 225-250 hp turbine they designed with some help from Innodyn.

Ploxhoi said:
Read this, and please understand the specs you list are based on a 1960s design. You guys act like no advances in any technology have occurred at since then.

http://www.vtol.org/pdf/2006PSUundergrad.pdf

Also note they quote 17 gal/hr with a 225-250 hp turbine they designed with some help from Innodyn.
1. The laws of physics haven't changed, so there are still natural limits on how low the fuel consumption can go. The laws of physics suggest that if you want to get good SFC you need high pressure ratio (i.e. multiple compressor stages), high exhaust gas temperatures (i.e. expensive materials in the turbine) and low surface area to volume ratio (i.e. large engine). Note that the alleged Innodyn is supposedly a single stage, cheap, small engine, and thus its SFC will be quite a bit worse than the best engines.

2. The specs for the PSU250 engine in the article appear to be based on a theoretical engine. The expected performance is calculated, based on assumed efficiencies of the various components. Inexperienced engine designers usually find that the actual performance is worse than expected.

3. They predict an SFC of about 0.74 at 150 hp at 6000 ft, and around 0.7 at 225 hp. This SFC would give a fuel consumption of about 16 gph at 150 hp, and about 22 gph at 225 hp, assuming Jet A at 7 lb/USG.

4. These SFCs are about 50% higher than Lycoming SFCs, and it is likely that a real engine would have worse performance than the "paper" engine that the SFCs are for.

April 2007 Update

Innodyn appreciates the continued interest in using our turbine in aviation expressed by the many information inquiries received through our web site.

Currently, we remain in the final testing, evaluation, and refinement stage of our product development. Although basic operational information is available from our extensive ground testing, we have yet to develop final data from our limited in- flight testing program. At this time, we are not yet in commercial production of the projected product line of turbine presented on our page.

Although significant progress has been made toward that point, we have experienced delays during the past year that have impacted our time line for reaching a production stage. We remain optimistic that a final product line can be presented for limited production later this year. Please continue to express your interest in our project, and we will certainly answer question presented to us through our site. This is an exciting time for Innodyn as we focus on bringing this advanced technology to market. We appreciate your patience as we complete that process.

Thank you.

Click here.

We appreciate your patience

They said that when my son started high school. He has now graduated from college. Maybe when his grandchildren are readyto fly......

Last edited:
Hate to be pessimistic

Are we going to start taking bets when they will go out of business? :rolleyes:

The Internet sucks for companies, when their customers and potential customers can all talk, if they are having problems. I really do wish them luck and I can honestly say I hope they bring a safe, reliable product to market, that will do all they say, like burning less fuel per HP than a Lycoming or what ever. Good Luck. I got $10 that says the product gets bought by someone else (again) or they go OOB.

Last edited:
Dreaming

gmcjetpilot said:
Are we going to start taking bets when they will go out of business? :rolleyes:

The Internet sucks for companies, when their customers and potential customers can all talk, if they are having problems. I really do wish them luck and I can honestly say I hope they bring a safe, reliable product to market, that will do all they say, like burning less fuel per HP than a Lycoming or what ever. Good Luck. I got $10 that says the product gets bought by someone else (again) or they go OOB.

Actually I think they are out of business. They just don't know it yet. It's a great idea but I'm afraid that the money required to bring it to market is just never going to materialize. I'd love to have a turbine in my '8' but I just can't see it happening.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

The Big picture (or wild speculatons :cool: ): 30-50% or so of experimental AC are RV. They are built at a rate of 1 a day or something. The total experimental marked worldwide is maybe approx 1000 aircrafts per year. But then I guess there will not be more people installing turbines than there are people building Harmon Rockets which are built at a rate of roughly 10 per year. So, Innodyne can expect to sell roughly 10 turbines per year, worldwide. Total income will be around 250,000$ per year (assuming one turbine cost 25,000 $). This has to cover all expenses (material, assembling, sub contractors, testing, phone, everything).

This doesn't really add up. As a one man business or family business this could probably work if you had free access to production facilities and some money stowed away somewhere, or as a side business on hobby basis or something. But as a corporate venture requireing investors and partners, this will simply not work unless the sale price or units sold is at least multiplyed by a factor of 10. 250,000 $ for an experimental engine is way too much, and to expect that 10% of the finished aircraft will install a turbine is unrealistic.

Thielert is selling their engines for 35,000 $ and complete replacements in C-172 for 55,000 $. They have sold over 1500 units by end of 2006. The difference is that Thielert is replacing old expensive technology with new technology at huge overall economical benefits for the customers, especially in Europe. The Innodyne turbine is an expensive complicated toy with no real benefits whatsoever, not for the customers and not for any investors.

Last edited:
Agreed. With the advancement of diesel engines, turbines for experimental aircraft are dead.

Theilert has 150BHP, 350BHP engines in hundreds or aircraft already, if not thousands. Next year their 230BHP engine will come to market which would be an ideal fit for an RV7 or 8

With a fuel burn of 6-8gph for 230bhp, full fadec, and service ceilings equivalent of turbines at a fraction of the cost they will wipe out any momentum that turbines might have generated.

Thielert Engines for EXP Market

The question still remains to whether or not Thielert will look to bring their diesel engine to the experimental aftermarket. Word at SnF from their sales group is that it's not part of their plan at the moment. Doesn't mean it won't be some time in the future.

I suspect they would want a kit manufacturer to design a plane around the diesel engine, rather than sell them one by one to the builders though.

rgbewley said:
The question still remains to whether or not Thielert will look to bring their diesel engine to the experimental aftermarket. Word at SnF from their sales group is that it's not part of their plan at the moment. Doesn't mean it won't be some time in the future.

I suspect they would want a kit manufacturer to design a plane around the diesel engine, rather than sell them one by one to the builders though.

That's exactly how Thielert approaches the market. They want to deliver their engines to an Original Equipment Manufacturer for incorporation into the product. This would mean that we have to convince Thielert and Van's to cooperate on this. I wrote to Van's a few years ago and at that time it seemed they were still married to Lycoming and their clones/updates. I don't know if they changed their minds but now that Van Bortel is converting C172's to Diesel power, the opinion towards Diesel in the US seems to be changing. However, unless the RV-homebuilder has some sort of backdoor access to these engines, there is no way to obtain one of their Diesel's for use. I would be very interested to find out how we could all convince Van's and Thielert to work on the 230HP Diesel for the RV-7/8. ? would definetely be one of the first to order it.
I have several hours on a Thielert C172 and must say it runs smooth, clean, easy and simple, albeit it being underpowered for take-off.

The current crop of diesels are heavy and wimpy so in that respect, there is no comparison to turbine engines. The Thielert diesels are not exhibiting great life on wing according to some people flying them. Premature wear and removal due to high oil consumption, ECU failures, alternator problems, turbo failures, coolant leaks and some battery/ system design questions show that these are far from a mature system like an O-360.

Thielert seems to be working towards solutions but it will be a few more years before most of the problems are licked and they reliably make it to TBR on a regular basis.

Probably the best comparison between diesels and turbines is that they both burn fuel oil, and they both stink!!

Mike

Mike S said:
Probably the best comparison between diesels and turbines is that they both burn fuel oil, and they both stink!!

Mike
I think both burned diesel/jet-a1 and burned methanol w/oil smells good :) Much better than any gasoline engine.

The weight is probably what is most negative with Thielert. The block is from a Mercedes automotive engine as far as i know. The design philosophy of modern car engines is to put as much flowing water in the block as possible. The metal in the block is therefore not unsimilar to a skeleton holding all the water in place, while at the same time being strong and stiff enough to withstand the forces from the cumbustion cycles. This very efficient cooling makes it possible to design small engines (cc-vise) with high efficiency and lots of HP, but it also makes the engine very heavy.

Maybe we have to wait for Rotax to make a real diesel aero engine along the lines of the 912?

SvingenB said:
I think both burned diesel/jet-a1 and burned methanol w/oil smells good :)

Maybe we have to wait for Rotax to make a real diesel aero engine along the lines of the 912?

Used to run some street and race cars on M85. Nice smelling stuff, awesome power with high boost turbos.

I'm hoping the new flat 4 Sube diesel turbo will be within reason for weight and produce enough power at 2700 rpm to not require a redrive and motivate an RV. Only bad thing is the chassis integrated electronics driving the fuel injection- not easy to leave in place with all the **** they have these days. Cutaways of this engine shows it is quite tall from crank centerline to top of intake manifold, might need a drive to offset the thrustline to fit in an RV cowling unfortunately. Invert it and dry sump it- there is usually some solution.

RV6 say what you will about theilert and deisel engines. The fact is they are in lots of planes and flying. Theilert isn't just about talk they have a real product unlike Innodyn.

I think the RV solution is one of three possibilities. 1) Convince Vans and theilert to work together, 2) Just wait for the timed out engines to come to market. Theilert position is to replace with brand new engines those that time out and then sell the timed out engines to the non aviation industrial industry. We could probably pick them up from that avenue. the 1.7 and 2.0 engines are flying in hundreds of flight school planes so they will be timing out within a couple years of install. The 230hp engines may take a while longer as I'm not sure of where they would fit into the high use commercial sector. They are more of a better fit for Cessna 182 ect. The third option is to get "creative." One idea that comes to mind is to order a 230hp engine for a 182 then after taking deliver "change my mind on what aircraft i want to put my new engine in." One might have to go so far as installing the enigne in the 182 and removing it later which is cost prohibitive but hey where there is a will their is a way.

As for them being too heavy. Read the data sheets first before commenting. They are only marginally heavier than a conventional Lycoming. As I do recall the equivalent of going from a wood prop to a constant speed metal prop. And what you save on weight in a turbine engine you'll have to add in weigh for fuel to feed that turbine. Yes I'm aware of Innodyn's miraculous claims of low fuel burn but that?s all they are is claims and even then those claims are well above what these diesel engines have proven to burn.

Last edited:
kevinsky18 said:
<snip>As for them being too heavy. Read the data sheets first before commenting. They are only marginally heavier than a conventional Lycoming. As I do recall the equivalent of going from a wood prop to a constant speed metal prop.<snip>
That could be as much as 40 pounds though! :eek: 40 pounds on top of 300 is 13% of the total weight...Not marginal.

kevinsky18 said:
RV6 say what you will about theilert and deisel engines. The fact is they are in lots of planes and flying. Theilert isn't just about talk they have a real product unlike Innodyn.

As for them being too heavy. Read the data sheets first before commenting. They are only marginally heavier than a conventional Lycoming. As I do recall the equivalent of going from a wood prop to a constant speed metal prop.

I'm not defending turbines here but maybe you are not as well informed as you think. FF weight difference between a 180hp Lycoming and the 135hp Thielert is 51 lbs. on the Twin Star (each). Let's see, that's 45 less hp for 51 lbs. more weight. Most RV people are not going for that. Secondly, reports from a flight school pilot in Austria said that NONE of their Thielerts have made it past 950 hours and they have had multiple system failures in a short period of time. Another DA40 was just lost in Finland recently due to an engine stoppage and had to ditch- fortunately no injuries and the airframe was recovered. No cause yet.

I agree, Thielert is a real company dedicated to make these engines better but I'll stand by my statements that they are not a mature system at this point in time.

Last edited:
rv6ejguy said:
Another DA40 was just lost in Finland recently due to an engine stoppage and had to ditch- fortunately no injuries and the airframe was recovered. No cause yet.
To be precise, today the local Accident Investigation Board has found reason why the propeller stopped: fault in clutch. The clutch discs were destroyed and what has caused that is still unclear.

Here is something (news where the reason for the failure is being said) in Finnish and also picture where the plane is picked up from the water: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/uutinen.asp?id=1380529

What I've heard about the plane earlier is that there has been a lot of problems with the engine also before so it hasn't been pleasure for the mechanicians and the owner.

The registry for the plane is OH-FDA if you wish to look for a pics etc... There are plenty of pics in Airliners.net.

I wonder...

I wonder how many people were like meback two years ago and new to aviation, swayed a bit towards buying an RV kit thinking that the turbine was going to be the engine someday...

(HA HA)

--REK

Pirkka said:
To be precise, today the local Accident Investigation Board has found reason why the propeller stopped: fault in clutch. The clutch discs were destroyed and what has caused that is still unclear.

Here is something (news where the reason for the failure is being said) in Finnish and also picture where the plane is picked up from the water: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/uutinen.asp?id=1380529

What I've heard about the plane earlier is that there has been a lot of problems with the engine also before so it hasn't been pleasure for the mechanicians and the owner.

The registry for the plane is OH-FDA if you wish to look for a pics etc... There are plenty of pics in Airliners.net.

Thanks for the update. There have been few if any core engine failures on the Thielert to date so this is just another system failure bringing one down. Yes, I understand they are not nice to work on either. A pretty busy engine bay on the TwinStar I looked at when I was at Reno 2 years ago.

Back to the turbine thing. Tremendous interest in them- look at the views on this topic (over 10,000!) but doomed to failure at today's fuel prices especially in low altitude applications on RVs. This has been thrashed before here- single turbine designs with single or maybe twin compressor stages to keep costs down offer poor fuel specifics.

Last edited:
A clutch? What the heck?

I've been looking in on the centurian/thielert website for years now but never noticed that they have use a clutch. What's it for?

I'm guessing they use a one way drive clutch between the engine and reduction gear to reduce torsional vibration. Some Rotax 9 series engines and NSI use similar devices. Some designs have not been that reliable historically...

Anyone who thinks adapting auto engines to aircraft is easy- well not too easy even for large corporations with plenty of talent and money. Keeps us busy problem solving and scratching heads.

Last edited:
Ralph Kramden said:
I wonder how many people were like meback two years ago and new to aviation, swayed a bit towards buying an RV kit thinking that the turbine was going to be the engine someday...

(HA HA)

--REK
Ralph,
You CAN buy a turbine, just not Innodyne. PT-6s and Walthers are readily available. Bring your checkbook! Maybe 2 checkbooks. You will have to engineer your entire firewall forward. People are just going to have to come to terms with the fact that a turbine is a stupid idea for the RV. Sick amounts of money to buy, radical airframe change necessary, absurd fuel consumption. These are not the reasons people buy RV's to begin with. This doesn't mean that it cannot be done. The POINT is SHOULD it be done? I'm not afraid to say that I may have trouble spending the money to complete my RV in a conventional fashion. But the line is that it is YOUR money, hope you can have fun. My last comment is by way of annectdote. I worked in the motorcycle industry in the past. In the late 70's we had all kinds of "power wars" similar to the muscle car era. Every manufacturer had a true firebreather a 1000cc monster with a 4 second 0-100 (that's right 100) time. These always sat in the corner of the floor on a little pedestal gathering finger prints, but not selling. While the modest little 500s and 600s sold like hotcakes. Why? Simple they were waaaaay more fun. Enjoy yourself, however you do it. BE SAFE.
Bill Jepson

I agree with Bill here. I have a friend who owns an RR turbine powered Glasair here. It has been a complete nightmare. Cost about double what he thought, took years longer to complete with all the airframe mods required and now he has an evil flying, gas guzzling airplane he can't afford. Cool plane but not too practical. He is looking at selling it and building an RV10 maybe.

The Walter powered Lancair IVP makes sense if you are a rich person because at least you can practically get them up high where the fuel burn and TAS are decent. You can't really build one of these for less than a half mil however.

Very interesting reading. A few things struck me with this engine.

1. They don't use a fully counterweighted crank- almost unheard of on most top end inline fours these days.

2. Open deck block on turbo engine running 67 inches- wouldn't be my choice

3. Very small crank journals for a diesel of this displacement- scary in my view

4. Not clear on the clutch whether this incorporates a one way mechanism and a friction breakaway setup from their description. The lateral spring type clutch setup has be used on other redrives in the past with poor results.

A complicated little engine with lots of things to go wrong.

You say complicated. Some others might say modern.

Yes they have had a few growing pains. But their engines are warrentied unlike Lycoming. If a thielert has problems half way through they credit you half the price of a new one. Sure we'd rather they make tbo but think about it, how many lycoming and continentals dont make tbo due to ADs, bad cylinders etc. And what happens? Lycoming and Continental just shrug. If its a hugs issue and there's a major out cry sometimes they offer you a deal on the parts lol.

Yes Theilert will have growing pains. But I see they are now on the second generation of the 135hp engine. the 1.7 has been replaced with the 2.0. I assume they have incorporated some of their lessons learned into the second gen engine.

How about some honesty please

kevinsky18 said:
No he got it right complicated, more "things" to break, fail, maintain.
Yes they have had a few growing pains. But their engines are warranties unlike Lycoming.
Now Kevin you're getting into demagoguery, fine, but at least tell the truth; sorry, you are wrong, Lycomings have warranties.
If a thielert has problems half way through they credit you half the price of a new one. Sure we'd rather they make tbo but think about it, how many lycoming and continentals dont make tbo due to ADs, bad cylinders etc. And what happens? Lycoming and Continental just shrug. If its a hugs issue and there's a major out cry sometimes they offer you a deal on the parts lol.
No Kevin, there you go again talking silliness, throwing out a bunch of rhetoric with out facts or real intellectual honesty. Whining about Continental and Lycoming is a non-sequitur, a "straw-man". It has nothing to do with Theilert. Considering the facts, you are, sorry, wrong again. Really compete silliness my friend, and how does that change facts regarding centurian/thielert? It does not. You are just being a provocateur with no real honesty. Lycs crank issues stems from a simple change in manufacturing process. The design is not the issue. What is Theilert's problem? Design is a different ball game.

To straighten you out a little, I have an O-360-A1A, 180HP Lycoming, that was made in the early 1970's. It has been rebuilt twice, both times going to TBO. No AD has ever caused it to not make TBO. Based on last rebuild I should be able to get 4 more overhauls out if it. The AD's on the engine through its life never required major expense or engine overhaul. In fact, all I can think of is an oil pump impeller, carb float, external prop gov oil line and crank corrosion inspection required at next overhaul. There are no AD's on my engine at this time and it's 35 years old! So what are you talking about?

Bad batch of cranks in the 1990's? Oh well I guess you got me, 1% of all Lycs ever made. Stuff happens my friend. As far as cranks, Lyc payed for ALL parts and labor on the AD cranks. Yes there was a later batch that they recommend changing with a service bulletin and parts at cost ($2,000 verses $16,000). The good news is there's no time limit to buy or comply. So you can go to 2,000 hours and change the crank at overhaul. There is no AD on those cranks or failures at this time, it's a service bulletin. TCM had a bad batch of cranks also. Again it was associated with changing vendor and/or forging process. Oh-oops? :eek: It has nothing to do with design. So for you to sensationalize it and make half truths is disingenuous at best.

Cylinders? My cylinders have 2,600 hours and are going strong. I guess Superior, ECI, Lyc made some boo-boo's I recall. I also recall they paid for them. By the way Lycoming/TCM cylinder swaps can be done with the engine on the plane, no overhaul needed.

Yes Theilert will have growing pains. But I see they are now on the second generation of the 135hp engine. the 1.7 has been replaced with the 2.0. I assume they have incorporated some of their lessons learned into the second gen engine.
Hummmm sounds like excuses. I wish them luck. Have never owned a Lyc or any engine, Lyc with any of the AD's you spewed out? They are rare and affect a very small population and doubt you ever have. Have you even owned a plane before? You sound like you suffer from unrealistic expectations of mechanical things, especially airplanes. I have owned and flown a lot of them. Anything mechanical can break, expect it, even with Der-Vounder engine you are in love with.

In 50 years of production Lycomings reputation for reliability and durability has been outstanding, with out debate. These engines have been in the air millions of hours over 5 decades .... so stuff happens. Yes Theilert has problems but pointing fingers at Lycoming is a "straw-man".

When Lycoming's Horz opposed engines first came into service, they NEVER replaced or recalled their engines in whole or part in the late 1950's and early 60's. Their brand new designs went into early service with out a hitch, AD or recall. Even through the 1970's, 80's and most of the 90's, Lycs had no major AD's, at least on the crank shafts. Like I said my 1973 Lyc 360 has no AD's on it, facts my friend.

Theilert's early service history is no where near Lycoming's stellar performance and reliability when their engines where entering into service 50 years ago. Even today, not withstanding the few cranks you raged about, Lycoming is still better, crank AD and all. Not saying Theilert won't get it together, but they're off to a bad start.

If you are going to rub Lycomings name in the mud from the admittedly major crank AD screw up, fine, but get your facts straight and make a point please. To shotgun a bunch of crud out to divert attention or avoid embarrassment is a poor way to make a point. Lycoming has nothing to do with it, and the reliability and reputation of this new diesel engine is already behind the 8-ball and no where near a Lycoming's reliability of old or new vintage, based on facts.

Last edited:
kevinsky18 said:

Yes they have had a few growing pains. But their engines are warrentied unlike Lycoming. If a thielert has problems half way through they credit you half the price of a new one. Sure we'd rather they make tbo but think about it, how many lycoming and continentals dont make tbo due to ADs, bad cylinders etc. And what happens? Lycoming and Continental just shrug. If its a hugs issue and there's a major out cry sometimes they offer you a deal on the parts lol.

Absolutely. I applaud Thielert for introducing the first new light aircraft engine in truly widespread use since the Rotax 9 series engines and Diamond for taking a big chance as well. As with any new engine, there will be growing pains and lessons learned. And you are right, they are stepping up and paying for most of the premature failures. That is a good thing.

I had the opportunity 2 days ago to look at another Twinstar with the cowlings off and could already pick out some revisions made to the cooling and induction system layout since I saw one just 2 years ago.

While mature systems like the Lycoming shouldn't be still experiencing things like crank problems and cracked cylinders after 40+ years of development, the sad reality is that they do, luckily just on a relatively small percentage.

I don't care for Lycomings just for these reasons but I see many people going gaga over these diesels where their overall operating costs far exceed what a typical Lycoming would cost per hour despite the lower fuel burn. When Thielert gets it right, and they go 2000 hours before replacement with only minor work along the way and get a bit more power out of them, I see many more airframes being equipped with them. They just aren't there yet. Power to them to keep at it.

Back