What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Custom/non-standard throttle quadrants?

rmartingt

Well Known Member
I?m currently planning on a center console-mounted throttle quadrant (the console is partly to hide extra wiring, plumbing, and EFI fuel pump etc.). But using EFI, I have no need for a mixture lever. I just need throttle and prop.

Is there anyone out there that makes appropriate quadrants to order, without a mixture lever and preferably with a blank face plate?

Could you just use a two-lever (fixed-pitch) quadrant and repaint the mixture lever? Might be easier, and almost certainly cheaper, than a custom quadrant.

While I do not advocate center console quadrants, you could use the extra control for your oil cooler air butterfly valve. I did that on my first RV-8A and it come in very handy when I back fitted a CS prop.

Carl

I'm still at least 2 years off, but have also been wondering the same.

I was thinking there may be an easy way to just remove the mixture lever off the throttle quadrant and maybe I would make a fiberglass plug for the mixture slot? (I don't like the idea of using a mixture knob for some other function so I don't develop a weird muscle memory if I fly a different setup and pull the mixture accidentally)

The idea of using a 2 lever quadrant (fixed pitch) and trying to change the knob / modify the label also sounds like a possibility. Maybe this will become more of a thing as more people start using EFII systems?

Last edited:
Aerosport Products produces a two lever throttle quadrant. Mine will be arriving Thursday and will post some pics

Make your own..

When I built my -4, I didn't like the market available quadrants and wanted a slim 2 lever that would hide in my side panel. I made my own from some scrap aluminum and used 1/4" phenolic sheet I cut for the friction plates. Mine has worked perfectly and I made my knobs from round tubing filled with epoxy that screw onto the levers. The key is getting the lever geometry correct for the cable travel.

While I do not advocate center console quadrants, you could use the extra control for your oil cooler air butterfly valve. I did that on my first RV-8A and it come in very handy when I back fitted a CS prop.

Carl

I did think about repurposing the mixture on a 3-lever for a cowl flap or oil cooler. Still considering that. I'd still like a plate that isn't labeled, though.

The only other airplane I'd be flying would likely be Dad's 6, and that has push-pull knobs on the panel.

When I built my -4, I didn't like the market available quadrants and wanted a slim 2 lever that would hide in my side panel. I made my own from some scrap aluminum and used 1/4" phenolic sheet I cut for the friction plates. Mine has worked perfectly and I made my knobs from round tubing filled with epoxy that screw onto the levers. The key is getting the lever geometry correct for the cable travel.

I considered that as an option, too, but I have a feeling it may cost more in time and materials by the end of an iteration or three...

I forget who makes the throttle quadrants that Van's and ACS sells, but why not just call them and have them change the knob on a 2-lever quadrant?

They're easy to disassemble and reassemble yourself, as well, if you want to swap out a lever or knob. There's not much to them...

Give DJM a call - Dayton makes the Deluxe throttle quadrant that ACS and Van’s sells, and can probblay come up with a solution for you.

Paul

Back