What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

inner fairings

parabuzzle

I'm New Here
ok, I may have a dumb question here. In all the RV's I've looked at there is no cover or protection of the ribs when the control surfaces move.

As an example on the RV10 when you move the elevator to full deflection, you could stick your arm into the stabilizer because there are no fairings or otherwise coverings to close the structure up. In the certified planes I've flown, the always have these ends all closed up tightly.

My question is, has anyone made such a thing or thought about it? I ask because if you build an IFR capable machine and find yourself in the clouds or in rain, wouldn't moisture just get into those giant rib holes? Wouldn't you want to prevent that? I mean, it wouldn't be hard to make a simple fiberglass bit to sit inside there.. its just that attaching it would be a pain after you've riveted down the skin..

I'm thinking about doing this with fiberglass unless someone here has a compelling reason not to.

Not a dumb question at all. It got me to thinking about it as well so I pulled out my RV-14A drawings to see if there are features built into the design for water drain.

On the rudder, there are instructions to drill a #30 drain hole in the lower fiberglass fairing either in the front or rear depending on the gear configuration. The ailerons, flaps and elevator all have gaps on each side of the trailing edge that allow water to egress.

Back