What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yep, another air compressor question...

Lefty37

I was recently looking for a compressor for my RV project, and saw this one at my local hardware store:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUI...tric-Vertical-Quiet-Air-Compressor/1000405189

I was interested in it due to the low sound advertised (<70dba)

However, the CFM output at 90psi was rated at only 4.5CFM.

I'd planned to use my compressor mostly for riveting as I have a great electric drill. But I was wondering what this output support. Will it support riveting, drilling, and light cutting? Or do I need to get a compressor with a higher CFM output.

And yes, I've spent way too much time searching this topic on VAF, great discussions, by the way!

Last edited:
Analysis paralysis will get you.

My Home Depot is 5.5 SCFM @ 90psi. It does everything very well. The only time that I have had an issue is using my die grinder for long deburring sessions. The label on the side of the compressor says that it is not suitable for die grinders or painting. Die grinding is fine as long as I'm not doing it for more than 3 or 4 minutes at a time. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've done that. I've never tried painting.

The Lowes unit looks great. Pull the trigger.

I have a similar compressor made by a different company and I found that they do indeed run out of air with die grinders and the like. For all other uses it's fine for me. If you want to add to the capacity they buy something with a larger tank, or add a tank (such as a hot water heater tank) to increase the run time.

-Marc

I have had only one oil-less compressor. I recommend you do not purchase one. Especially given the low volume of air produced, it will be running a lot when riveting / drilling. Listening to the compressor cycle on and run several times while working got old in a hurry.

Just my two cents.

CFM of an air compressor is like CI of an internal combustion engine.
There is no replacement for either.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion for you, this is what I did. Personally I think I worked out a **** of a deal.
I was looking for the highest SCFM I could get. means your compressor works less. Background knowledge I had prior was I been working with a 5.5 SCFM very small gallon set up...that 5.5SCFM just could not keep up. Part of that equation was the very small tank, but still, the reality was. So, searching all brands I found quickly only a few makers make a high SCFM compressor...that is unless you go to a gargantuan tank, like 80 or even bigger.
I did want a healthy tank capacity. Just didn't want to pay $800 or more for the **** at lowes or home depot. A little foot work to a industrial air tool repair and sales store. Nearly all cities have one or two of these store. Many sell used tanks!!! That is Tanks from broken setups that they cannibalized. Humm, a light build came on in my melon. So, here is the kicker, I found my tried and true quality brand and my high SCFM, so I got smart and built my capacity. I bought a Campbell Hausfeld 30gal, but a model that has their nice 10 SCFM@90psi compressor! Then I found a cannibalized 20 gal tank for $30! Plumbed it all together. Sold my initial inadequate compressor. Therefore my Net cost after all said and done came to be about $425! So for a little foot work and brains, I got 50gal capacity, high SCFM output, all for nearly half what the minuscule new units cost at those brick n mortar stores!
There ya go. Oh, and belt drive too, yes that is quieter, by a lot. I absolutely would do this over again. Super easy to move around the shop too, as I plumbed the tanks together right by using quick connects and valves. Awesome sauce!.

Last edited:
I might also add that someone earlier compared a 4.5 cfm to a 5.5 cfm.

That's almost a 20% difference.

I have had only one oil-less compressor. I recommend you do not purchase one. Especially given the low volume of air produced, it will be running a lot when riveting / drilling. Listening to the compressor cycle on and run several times while working got old in a hurry.

Just my two cents.

+1 on this. I don't understand saving 200 bucks on a compressor that will drive a person deaf and crazy building a 100,000 buck airplane. Recommend a good belt driven compressor. 👍

I would suggest you look for a higher CFM output compressor at 90 psi, and one that is belt drive and oil lubricated. Direct drive dry compressors are much louder, so unless you can enclose it inside a sound insulated cabinet or use it outside, I think you will want to wear ear protection whenever it is running.

You might also want to consider a small air powered drill similar to this one. https://www.yardstore.com/pneumatic...neumatic-pistol-grip/new/texas-palm-drill-1-4

The pneumatic drill is smaller and lighter than an electric drill, which makes it much more comfortable for longer build sessions. I've been using the above drill for my RV-10 build and only use the electric cordless drill with a reamer to slightly enlarge holes where the rivet fit is too tight at the time of driving since I have the air hose connected to either the rivet gun or squeezer.

But don't over think it. You will continue to purchase additional tools as your build progresses. You can always start with a battery drill and purchase a small pneumatic drill later.

Just remember though - you typically get what you pay for. I have learned that spending more for a quality tool is generally a much better option that buying a cheap tool. A lesson that I seem to unfortunately forget every few years and then regret as I fight the poor quality tool.

drill

I found the new Makita 18V cordless BRUSHLESS drills are choice (very good). the new brushless are much lighter than the standard cordless, smaller even. The are comparable to the air drill without having to keep the compressor running. JMHO>

I'm not deaf yet! I'm hearing better!

Eventually after some years your compressor will seem quieter as you slowly go deaf. After 13 years mine initially seemed very loud but now its not so bad.

Low RPM, Two Stage

Get a good two stage with an 1725rpm motor and you will be much better off (quiet and high CFM). The compressor will run around 750rpm, so it will sound like one of the old Listers; quietly thumping away. It's like listening to a Lycoming vs a Rotax! :) I built one with this pump below and it's fantastic (didn't buy it here, but this is the model). I picked up my pump and tank used and cobbled it together. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_42538_42538

Last edited:
I have to go along with Brian on 2-stage compressors. I have this exact same pump. You can stand next to it and talk in a normal voice. They also last a VERY long time. I use mine daily, change the oil once a year, and it is over 20 years old. Built up by a local shop. I think I paid in the neighborhood of $1100 including an 80 gallon tank. Most large cities have at least one such shop.

Last edited:
I just purchased a single cylinder direct drive, oiled compressor, thinking it would be quieter.

Its not.

Spend the money and buy a 2 stage, belt drive, oiled compressor.

I found the new Makita 18V cordless BRUSHLESS drills are choice (very good). the new brushless are much lighter than the standard cordless, smaller even. The are comparable to the air drill without having to keep the compressor running. JMHO>

While these may be good drills, I don't consider them to be comparable to the air drill. The Makita is 3.3 lbs with battery vs. 1.5 lbs for the Texas Palm Drill, and the Makita is 7.25" long vs. 5.5" for the air drill, with 1900 rpm max for the Makita vs. 2600 rpm for the air drill. The Makita does have a 1/2" chuck vs. 1/4" for the air drill.

But either drill will do the job for you. All a matter of personal preference.:rolleyes:

posted some of this before, but:

As far as compressors, the HF and most others are incredibly noisy to where you need hearing protection. I finally bought this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Californ...10SE/205602927

About as loud as a washing machine; you can carry on a normal conversation next to it.

Plenty of capacity for riveting including squeezer (90psi)

Not enough capacity for air tools or paint guns, but:

Only used my air drill a couple of times, didn't seem necessary, aluminum's pretty soft; 2 Bosch 12v rechargeable drills worked great. One for #30, one for #40

For priming, I used Stewart Systems Eko-Prime (No toxicity probs, water cleanup) and sprayed it with an air brush instead of a spray gun.. Takes about twice as long to paint, but no big deal. No cleanup with Eko-Prime, just toss the air-brush into a bowl of water and it's ready to use again...

I bought a 80gallon Kellogg 2 stage compressor of Craigslist for $400 CDN$.
It works perfect, Very Quiet, Can do anything that I want, easy and very cheap to rebuild. This compressor is probably 25 Years old and can easily do another 25 If I care for it a little.

My advice, by the biggest, Oiled, Belt compressor you can afford. And do not forget to buy dryer kit and...It will last forever and if you want to sell it, you will sell it for the same price you paid!

Dayz

Back