What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Denver: turbulence concerns

lr172

Well Known Member
I plan to fly into Denver this weekend and this will be my first time flying in the rockies. I understand the basics of the rotors that develop when the wind crosses the ridges at 90* and I understand the basics of flying over mountains (have crossed the Appalachians several times). However, to land in Denver I need to descend through the rotor zone.

I frankly don't know who to ask for guidance on dealing with this and was hoping that some Denver area folks can help me with some general guidelines. I am going into AHA and will go IFR. I was hoping that ATC would provide some guidance or Pireps but not sure.

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions from local pilots.

Thanks,

Larry

11am to 4pm

been my experience the above hours are most likely to be rough especially on a bright sunny day below the cumulus. Have fun.

Hi Larry,

First I'm assuming your coming from the East by your address. If so you should have no issues related to "rotor zone" this time of year. Strong turbulence issues usually don't begin till October or such as the upper level winds are usually quite benign in the summer. Dodging thunderstorms or high density altitude issues should be your only concerns. You can expect some mid afternoon turbulence if you arrive after 12 but just more of a discomfort than any thing else.

I have been flying out in the Denver area for over 30 years, all types of aircraft, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend flying here this time of year in GA aircraft. In addition flying in and around the mountains is one the great joys to be found out here. Just check the winds at 12K and if they aren't out of the west at over 25 knots your good to go. Keep an eye out for gusty surface winds and possible LLWS at some airports along the way but usually not a problem. Might add I have been giving Mountain flying seminars to pilots for many years out here. You question is a great one to ask!

BTW, not familiar with AHA, perhaps your referring to KAPA. If so easy peasy trip

Have a great flight!....DR

Hi Larry,

First I'm assuming your coming from the East by your address. If so you should have no issues related to "rotor zone" this time of year. Strong turbulence issues usually don't begin till October or such as the upper level winds are usually quite benign in the summer. Dodging thunderstorms or high density altitude issues should be your only concerns. You can expect some mid afternoon turbulence if you arrive after 12 but just more of a discomfort than any thing else.

I have been flying out in the Denver area for over 30 years, all types of aircraft, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend flying here this time of year in GA aircraft. In addition flying in and around the mountains is one the great joys to be found out here. Just check the winds at 12K and if they aren't out of the west at over 25 knots your good to go. Keep an eye out for gusty surface winds and possible LLWS at some airports along the way but usually not a problem. Might add I have been giving Mountain flying seminars to pilots for many years out here. You question is a great one to ask!

BTW, not familiar with AHA, perhaps your referring to KAPA. If so easy peasy trip.

Have a great flight!....DR

Thanks so much for the insight; It is much appreciated. Yes, we are going into Centennial (APA), I was typing too quickly. Plenty of T storms to dodge here in Illinois, as well as convective turbulence this time of year, so used to that. Saturday is looking like a great day to fly for the whole West.

Larry

Last edited:
I haven't flown over the mountains back east, but have flown over the Rockies. I would bet it isn't the same or even close. If you are coming from the east, you will not have any mountain flying so no worry. Find a local guy and go for a mountain flight. It will be worth the time and you will enjoy it. If you are prepared, nothing to fear and the views are amazing.

Take off at dawn and land before noon for the best ride. Rotor and wave are not present with upper level winds below 40 knots, mostly winter issues.

Mark

There's a good restaurant at the upper level of the FBO - been there a few times. Good luck on the trip!

I attended the Colorado Pilots Association forums at Oshkosh the last 2 years. Very good sessions.
Great info on rotors and mountain waves.

Their website has lots of great info and tools to make flying safer in the rockies.
http://coloradopilots.org

Last edited:
Ditto Hacker. From the East, your greatest challenge is avoiding traffic and the Class B. Both APA and FTG are busy training spots; both have restaurants for food flights. APA, your closest approach, is 20 miles from the foothills; wave formation is unlikely until October.
Flying those mountains is demanding: your rate of climb [often the critical factor] decreases about 7% per thousand feet of altitude. Translate that: at 10,000', your climb rate is decreased SEVENTY PERCENT. A 10 degree increase above ISO temperature will increase your ground roll by 10% -- as will every 1000' of ASL.
The orographic challenges are not comparable between the Rockies and the Appalachians - each has its own mysteries and difficulties. I spent way too much time looking for scattered aluminum around the high passes of Colorado -- please get some familiarization help if you go West from Denver [or just go to 16,000 and stay there].... but getting into Denver is not that problem.

KAPA

Visit "The Perfect Landing" while at KAPA.

http://www.theperfectlanding.com/

Great food and awesome views of the parallel runways, with mountains in the background. If you go there in the evening, there is often a sunset worth seeing. You will also be very near Broncos Training Facility in Dove Valley. Can see it from KAPA. GO BRONCOS!!!:)

Back