What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Optimum garage Size

Tonard Bales

Well Known Member
I have a permit to build a stand alone garage in my yard that I will eventually use to build an RV (probably a 9A). The current plans are for an interior of 18 feet wide by 22 feet long. Will this suffice? I know bigger is better but I am looking for the smallest space without compromising the actual build process. Thanks

You will do it in that space if that is the best you can do. I built in a space 20 X 22 and did not have much excess space. Storage for completed components was the problem especially when you still need those components handy for fitting. Hanging racks from rafters to store completed parts and standing a kit shipping crate on end with the lid hinged as a door (like a closet) for storing raw kit parts worked for me. Wall shelving just below the ceiling above the doors & windows helped (also made from Vans crates). A friend built two RV's in a single stall garage and had a more severe case of the same problem so it is being done. I believe organizing the "stuff" becomes critical with smaller facilities but don't let it deter you from building. I had to remind myself the goal is to build a plane and NOT a workshop. Good luck.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD RV6 flying
RV8 wings
Northfield, MN

Nick Seraphinoff, an EAA Tech Counselor from Michigan, built two Thorpes and three RV6s in a one (not 1.5) car garage. Nick's house is about 800 square feet and has no basement. I believe from that same garage also came a Vollmer Sportsman and two or three other aircraft. The RVs were the only kit built AC and were all slow builds. All others were plans built.

Nick's last project (an RV6) was completed in 2004 and made its initial flight on his 85th birthday. When I notified Van's of the launch of my 9A and noted Nick's participation, Richard VanGrunsven wrote that he had met Nick and his Thorpe at EAA when the annual gathering was held in Rockford.

Nick was my initial contact with EAA and the main reason I decided that I could take on and complete such a project. Every few months when I'd get bogged down during building, Nick was always around to remind me "it's just an airplane". Interestingly, Nick did not come from an aviation background, but spent most of his life working in maintenance at Detroit's Wayne State University. I don't think he spent too much time watching TV.
Terry
RV9A
N323TP

Bottom line; The bigger the garage the easier it is . Do not forget the height needed for the tail. EJ

Ann & I built 2 RV-6s side by side in a 20' X 23' garage. This was back in the days when we had to do everything including 2 fuselage jigs. We did modify the jigs to be tapered, but other than that, we had plenty of room. Bottom line, build it as big as you can. You can NEVER have too much space.

go big

I was working out of a 10x22 old timey garage and two years ago, accepted the reality that I need more space if I wanted to continue building my RV-9A at my home. I had a new garage built in my backyard. Initially I ordered a 24x24, but inquired about a 24x30 and it was $2 per square foot cheaper so I opted for that. The metal building builders said they like to build in 10 foot units, so the 30 foot length was convenient for them. Glad I did it! I was able to fit both wings at the same time with room on either side to walk around comfortably. Go big, you will be glad you did!
Check it out:
Inside:
http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/images/Fuselage/f5d394679bc5422a52d9152c558188cc30780_DSC_0245.JPG

Outside:
http://www.aclog.com/rv-9a/images/Journal/DCP_2457.JPG

"if" I had to build an RV in a single car garage then I could make it happen.

But!

You are talking about building a garage, you have the choice to go bigger. And when it comes to shop space go as big as you possibly can afford and the property limits will allow.

Space is like horsepower, you can never have too much. And nobody ever says, "I've got too much space." or "My shop is just too big I don't know how I'm going to fill it."

Yes single will work but really double is better and if I was custom building a garage for myself I wouldn't go any smaller than a three car garage.

WSBuilder said:
Sorry, I just learned how to post these.
Bill,
If you would convert that bush-hog to a belly mower, you would have more room yet.

Mel said:
Bill,
If you would convert that bush-hog to a belly mower, you would have more room yet.
Mel,
You're obviously a thinking kind of guy! Belly mowers are great for big lawns, but the bush hog will climb or jump over an unseen rock or stump, of which I have lots! Bucking broncos are one thing, but riding a bucking tractor with circulating cutters is more sport than I'm up for. BTW, thanks for all the contributions you make to this forum. I look forward to making your aquaintence sometime.

rph142 said:
You'd be surprised how little space you need when youre organized. See www.myrv3.com

Rob

It's not about how little space you can get away with. We all know you can do this in a single car garage.

I've seen 7 person families living in a two bedroom house. Can it be done? Yes. . . Would they like to have more space if they could afford it? Definately!

If the question was "I have a single car garage, can I do this in a single car garage?" the answer is clearly yes.

But this guy is building a garage from the ground up. He has the option to go bigger and I believe in the long run, space to build plus resale value as well as marginally higher costs to double or triple your space really adds up to going bigger verses smaller.

In my humble opinion, if you are in a position to custom build a shop / garage to facilitate your RV build then you would want to go big enough that you could have the plane fully assembled in the shop, including wings and be able to comfortably walk around it. What you pay extra in building costs will be quickly recovered by less hanger rent by extending the amount of time you can remain in your garage building and not have to move your project to the airport.

Being able to put the airplane together at home makes all the sense in the world considering a t-hanger at my home base rents for $550 per month. I will check the specs and add a few all around. You guys are the bomb diggity.

WSBuilder said:
Mel,
You're obviously a thinking kind of guy! Belly mowers are great for big lawns, but the bush hog will climb or jump over an unseen rock or stump, of which I have lots! Bucking broncos are one thing, but riding a bucking tractor with circulating cutters is more sport than I'm up for. BTW, thanks for all the contributions you make to this forum. I look forward to making your aquaintence sometime.
Bill,
I have a 7' belly mower on a '41 Farmall "B". It does great. Of course I DO have flat acreage. You're right, I certainly wouldn't want to try it over stumps or rocks.
Maybe we'll meet at the Texas RV Fly-in next week.

Mel said:
Bill,
I have a 7' belly mower on a '41 Farmall "B". It does great. Of course I DO have flat acreage. You're right, I certainly wouldn't want to try it over stumps or rocks.
Maybe we'll meet at the Texas RV Fly-in next week.

I drove the "B" when in high school....great machine but the row crop nose gear is not bullet proof.
I was crossing a small river one day to cultivate a corn field on the other side and snapped of the front wheels off on a submerged rock. We raised the front up out of the river with a Ford N hitch, drug it up on shore and installed a new spindle which was readily available from the local Farmall dealer as these things did break now and then.
That nose gear system was slightly under designed as is the RV unit. :)

Never had a problem and never really thought about it. Maybe I should put the little wheels in back like on my RV-6.

small building garage

If you build the shop, small, put a good ladder up to solid rafters and store up there, too. It's not square feet. It's cube feet.

I agree with go as big as you can

I built a 20' x 24' off of the back of my existing garage and stopped at 24' only because I was at the lot line.
I have an open ceiling and used 2"x8"'s for ceiling joists for eventually putting parts of the plane up there. I'm fairly happy with this size (easy to heat)..
Make sure you plan for your paint booth size to take up some of your build area if you are going to put a paint booth in. I did.(3'x9')
Good luck!!!
Jim

Back