What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Balance Master?

Robert Anglin

Well Known Member
Has anyone been using this Balance Master ring for a Lycon that ACS has in their catalog #15-09434? We Have not seen this unit before and have only seen the Landoll Rings in the past. Just wondering with the cost of a dynamic balance every few years if one of these is worth investing in or buying a Dynavibe. Any comments or experience with this unit is welcome. There is little data out on these things. Thanks, Yours, R.E. A. III #80888

I bought one of those directly from Balance Masters for my O-290-D2. It didn't work at all. To their credit, Balance Masters honored their "satisfaction guaranteed" promise and refunded my money.

Satisfied

Bought direct from Balance Master and have been running on O-320 with Hartzel CS prop for a couple years and is working well. You have to be "pretty close" to start with...but does work over the whole RPM range of 2200-2630 (highest I could get static) rather than optimized for one RPM.

sounds right.

That is about what I would expect. We are running an IO-360 with 9:1 pistons and a fixed pitch wood prop. We also use the full range of throttle settings depending on what we are doing that day. Your set up is close to ours and your answer give us a little better idea of how this ring may work. Thanks for your help. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

To be clear...

That is about what I would expect. We are running an IO-360 with 9:1 pistons and a fixed pitch wood prop. We also use the full range of throttle settings depending on what we are doing that day. Your set up is close to ours and your answer give us a little better idea of how this ring may work. Thanks for your help. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

No problem...

To be clear, however, the balancer is only balancing in the X-Y plane (Z being the crankshaft axis) as is not in any way, shape or form intended or able to do anything for rotational dynamics (i.e. Power pulses and props). You are likely clear on this, however, when guys start talking about high compression pistons it is important to understand the difference in what folks are referring to as "balancers". High compression and aluminium or extremely light propellers can fatigue prop or crankshaft...with obvious bad outcomes.

If you are really intending to add rotational damping than rubber/steel ring or silicone/steel ring is what you need; not a tube filled with mercury.

Sure

No problem...

To be clear, however, the balancer is only balancing in the X-Y plane (Z being the crankshaft axis) as is not in any way, shape or form intended or able to do anything for rotational dynamics (i.e. Power pulses and props). You are likely clear on this, however, when guys start talking about high compression pistons it is important to understand the difference in what folks are referring to as "balancers". High compression and aluminium or extremely light propellers can fatigue prop or crankshaft...with obvious bad outcomes.

If you are really intending to add rotational damping than rubber/steel ring or silicone/steel ring is what you need; not a tube filled with mercury.

No, we are fine on that. The main thing is there is always a sweat spot where you get a low vibration and that is fine, but we do use a wide range of RPM's on any given day and we know that the harmonics of a prop engine combo change as time goes by. We have even found that bugs and how and where they splat on a prop can change things some. We are trying to get a good solution for running anywhere from 1900 RPMs to 2750 depending on what mission profile we are flying that day and not have to be chasing those changes with a Dynavibe so often. Thanks for the help with this one. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
Back