What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D-100 heading problems

bryanflood

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I have a D-100 and am having problems getting a stable heading in a standard rate turn. I have installed the remote compass in the wing of my RV-9A with the Safe-Air kit. I have re-checked the angles of the mounting with a digital level and shimmed the remote compass to be within 0.1 degrees in one direction and 0.5 degrees in the other. I entered the inclination and other data in the d-100 and calibrated using the airport compass rose. The D-100 seems to give a pretty good heading when straight and level, but when I do any kind of a turn, such as a standard rate turn the heading leads or lags by as much as 30 degrees. This causes all sorts of problems including the autopilot performing oscillations in heading mode.

Has anyone had a similar problem and fixed it?

Thanks,

Bryan

I have no real knowledge of the module for the D100 however if it is like any other mag compass lead and lag in turns is normal. I have a D10A and in normal operation it derives its heading data off the GPS input. This provides a stable platform for the heading indication and autopilot. I have really never heard of running a autopilot off a mag compass. I am sure the experts will quickly jump into the discussion but do you have a GPS input and is it working correctly?

George

George,

The D10A does not get its heading indication from the GPS. It is either from the internal magnometer or from the optional external one.

The Dynon AP can fly both GPS ground track and Magnetic heading.

I have no real knowledge of the module for the D100 however if it is like any other mag compass lead and lag in turns is normal.

George

The Dynon is not "like any other mag compass" and should not have any turning errors.

My D100 behaves the same way. I have learned to anticipate it overshooting turns to southerly headings when on autopilot.

Then something is wrong. You need to revisit all the installation and calibration info and/or call Dynon to get your device serviced.

Last edited:
I am re-activating this tread as I have the same problem with my D-100. Completely unreliable in a turn. Runs perfect with wings level but in turns, sometimes the mag tape does not turn for a few seconds, or turns the opposite way of the turn, or go pass the heading by as much as 90 degrees. The heading always returns to normal when flying level.
I have replaced the ADC-10A and also relocated it with no change. The D-100 was verified by Dynon and found to be serviceable. But I have my doubts.

I will try another D-100 if able to locate one.
Any help with this problem will be appreciated.

Michel
5-1-4, 9-2-4, 0-7-6-3
[email protected]

D100 Compass lag

I have the same problems with my D100 heading as described in my RV7A; any bank angle >10* seems to make the problem worse. I am using a remote magnetometer that has been fully calibrated (mounted at the base of the vertical stabilizer as recommended).
This is definitely a problem that needs to be researched and solved.
Chris Glaeser
N654W KMIC

I am re-activating this tread as I have the same problem with my D-100. Completely unreliable in a turn. Runs perfect with wings level but in turns, sometimes the mag tape does not turn for a few seconds, or turns the opposite way of the turn, or go pass the heading by as much as 90 degrees. The heading always returns to normal when flying level.
I have replaced the ADC-10A and also relocated it with no change. The D-100 was verified by Dynon and found to be serviceable. But I have my doubts.

I will try another D-100 if able to locate one.
Any help with this problem will be appreciated.

Michel
5-1-4, 9-2-4, 0-7-6-3
[email protected]

I have found the source of my compass problem while making turns. The cables attached to my rear passengers shoulder belts were the culprit being made of steel. And while in a turn one of the cable would be parallel to the magnetometer whether the turn was left of right. I had new cables made of stainless by a marine shop for few hundred dollars. Problem solved.

As these cables are being held at their horizontal position by the baggage bulkhead and resting on the bottom of the fuselage when I checked for magnetic interference, I failed to recognize the potential problem.

Hope this help someone.

D100 Mag heading

My D100 May heading has been solid, no lead or lag. bolted with brass screws and grounded each side.

IMG_20160208_224326_zpsud0m6whm.jpg

vertical straps added since then did not affect Mag

IMG_20170910_140547_zpsuimmuiny.jpg

Last edited:
I know this may seem a bit silly (it did to me when after proper calibration, I updated my settings and made this error...), but for anyone that experiences this I would re-verify that you didn't accidentally swap declination and inclination in the setup if anyone sees this problem.

I input them wrong one time and it made the compass over swing in turns. Caught the error and all was back to normal.

and make sure all your wires running to the buss are shielded. even the ground to the buss should be shielded.

Hello all,

I have a D-100 and am having problems getting a stable heading in a standard rate turn. I have installed the remote compass in the wing of my RV-9A with the Safe-Air kit. I have re-checked the angles of the mounting with a digital level and shimmed the remote compass to be within 0.1 degrees in one direction and 0.5 degrees in the other. I entered the inclination and other data in the d-100 and calibrated using the airport compass rose. The D-100 seems to give a pretty good heading when straight and level, but when I do any kind of a turn, such as a standard rate turn the heading leads or lags by as much as 30 degrees. This causes all sorts of problems including the autopilot performing oscillations in heading mode.

Has anyone had a similar problem and fixed it?
Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan,
Leading and lagging is usually caused by the inclination and / or total field numbers being wrong.
Read the instructions carefully on this page.
https://www.dynonavionics.com/magnetic-inclination.php
Let me know what you find.

Back