What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna configuration?

edbundy

Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but here goes. I'm going to be installing an EchoUat w/Skyfyx-ext in my 6A, and while I'm at it I'm going to put a Redtail comm antenna on the belly.

Any thoughts on how best to configure the layout for proper distance, lack of gear leg shadowing, ease of install, short coax runs, etc?

Currently the only antenna I have on the belly is a rod-type transponder antenna mounted under the passenger rudder pedals at the extreme front corner of the fuselage. (The current comm antenna is one of the old Van's copper tape style on the windscreen).

My -7A has the transponder antenna on the right, just forward of the spar, protected by the gear weldment. The ADS-B in antenna is on the opposite side.

Comm antenna is under the copilot seat, second bay in, as far aft as I could put it and still easily buck the rivets.

I have no issues with communication but occasionally lose ADS-B in signals, which I think are more related to on-going issues with the Dynon/UAvionics receiver.

I've got the same setup of EchoUAT/SKYFYX, and I put the antenna just aft of the firewall, centered in the right footwell (right next to stiffener). Other antennae (comm & transponder) are mounted just forward of the main spar. It sounds like you could put your ADS-B antenna in a similar location on the left side.

Got a clean PAPR the first time I tried. I thought I might have to extend the ground plane forward with foil on the cowling's underside, as that antenna location provides only a little more than a semicircle of aluminum, but that proved unnecessary. The GPS puck goes on the glare shield, so in profile, the whole installation is contained within the firewall and IP. Nice short coax run as well.

FWIW, I decided to hard-wire the Echo unit to my 327GTX transponder rather than rely on the sniffer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. That's basically the same area I was looking at but I was concerned about the 3 foot distance recommendation between the antennas. I can only get about 28-30" while keeping a couple of inches away from the edge of the firewall for ground plane considerations. Glad to hear it works well.

We would need to build a larger air frame if all the antennas had to have a minimum of 36" radius from each other.

Last edited:
Back