VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Default Peel ply

Interesting thread. I never heard of weaving lubricant but it makes sense. Guess I need to buy more Peel Ply.
To answer my own question, no. Peel ply is not reusable. Ibtried it on a sample. It saturates like the first use but leaves most of the epoxy behind when removed. At least, that's what it looked like.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/03/2019, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Two cautions...

Removal with light force can indicate it really is just peeling, not fracturing the epoxy.

A key issue in loss of bond strength is contamination of the bonded surfaces at some point in the process. Plenty of research papers on the subject. With a woven peel ply, one source of contamination is surface treatment and weaving lubricant. The WalMart fabric may be fine; I don't know anything about it. That said, using either aircraft polyester or standard composite industry products is a safe bet.
Good to know, thank you! I never thought about it leaving contaminants for bonding the next layer.

The only work I've done with the Walmart Polyester is repairing cracks in my old RV-4 pre-honeycomb cowl. I usually just layer up 2-3 layers of Carbon Fiber (staggered edges between layers) and the Walmart "peel ply" works just fine for that. Never had any reason to try and bond a lot more structure to it after. If I do add layers, it's after I've already sanded on the section or part and I've never had any bonding or delamination issues (that I know of) because of the Walmart Polyester. I'm usually just using it to try and squeeze out excess resin.

RV-4 N249P O-320, Dual P-Mags, Warnke Prop, GRT Sport EX