What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose gear fork SB/fairing conversion

AirHound

Well Known Member
Calling old hands! Can the old nose wheel pant fit and be converted for the newer SB fork without as much disassembly the conversion part kit calls for? Just piecing it together I’m hopeful to just add the mounting flanges to the new fork and then only match drill the new fairing flanges and doublers to the old pant. Am I dreaming?

Doug

Last edited:
If I am understanding your question correctly, then yes, the "new" nose wheel pant brackets can be riveted to the nose wheel pant. The brackets will mount to the old fork or the newer "cut down" fork.

Have you already cut down the nose wheel gear leg and rethreaded the end for the new nose wheel fork?

If I am understanding your question correctly, then yes, the "new" nose wheel pant brackets can be riveted to the nose wheel pant. The brackets will mount to the old fork or the newer "cut down" fork.

Have you already cut down the nose wheel gear leg and rethreaded the end for the new nose wheel fork?

Dang, I just got the box of parts in the mail and was piecing things together for the project. The rv12 is 30 miles up the road still with OEM nose gear configuration. I thought the gear leg would go through the new fork hole w/o modification/no cutting or rethreading. Didn’t see cut down instructions yet in the KAI. What does newer ‘cut down’ fork mean?
So, one can’t just slide the old fork off and new on, as simple as that? And to make sure I understand you about the brackets, I’m thinking only remove the two top doubler plates which are on top of the bent brackets which are riveted to each side of the wheel pant and then only rivet the two new plates back on the brackets with three new match drilled holes. And that’s all I was going to replace just those two flat pieces. Yikes, I got to cut down and rethread the gear leg?

Last edited:
OOPS!!
I did not see that you were talking about the RV-12. My comments were for an RV-6A and the like.

I have no experience with the RV-12.

It?s been over a year since I put he new fork on, but I don?t recall any issues fitting the fork or wheel pants. I eventually pulled the wheel pants off to simplify maintaining tire pressure.

It?s been over a year since I put he new fork on, but I don?t recall any issues fitting the fork or wheel pants. I eventually pulled the wheel pants off to simplify maintaining tire pressure.

Did you notice a loss in knot's air speed during cruise?

Not having the nose wheel pant on cost us a few knots -- sorry, I don't remember exactly how many. Less than 5, but enough that we noticed.

I wasn't able to see a way to get the wheel pant to fit without replacing the brackets. Maybe someone else has been, but I don't see how. And yes, it's kind of a PITA, but not insurmountable. I just reminded myself that it's the inside of a wheel pant, so no one else will see the botched but structurally sound rivets.

Not having the nose wheel pant on cost us a few knots -- sorry, I don't remember exactly how many. Less than 5, but enough that we noticed.

I wasn't able to see a way to get the wheel pant to fit without replacing the brackets. Maybe someone else has been, but I don't see how. And yes, it's kind of a PITA, but not insurmountable. I just reminded myself that it's the inside of a wheel pant, so no one else will see the botched but structurally sound rivets.

Thank you but I think I can just only drill and replace the doublers that sit on top on top of each bracket. Then all I?m doing is just riveting those off and new ones one with three new attachment screw holes on top which go through the new doubler and existing bracket. What do you think Dale?

No idea if that will work or not, sorry. I did mine last winter, and after verifying that the wheel pant wouldn't fit unmodified I just followed the directions.

That's rare for me, but it does happen occasionally. :)

Thank you but I think I can just only drill and replace the doublers that sit on top on top of each bracket. Then all I?m doing is just riveting those off and new ones one with three new attachment screw holes on top which go through the new doubler and existing bracket. What do you think Dale?

It will not work, shape of nose fork is different. Easy to do as in the plans and nothing you do damages any paint.

I didn?t really see much drop in speed without the wheel pants. Maybe a couple of knots, but I didn?t measure exactly. The pants look great, but in my opinion the aesthetics aren?t worth the added hassle of pulling and replacing them to do maintenance. I?m sure others disagree. To each his on.

Calling old hands! Can the old nose wheel pant fit and be converted for the newer SB fork without as much disassembly the conversion part kit calls for? Just piecing it together I?m hopeful to just add the mounting flanges to the new fork and then only match drill the new fairing flanges and doublers to the old pant. Am I dreaming?

Doug

The nose wheel pant will fit the new fork. The SB will direct you to bend the front tip of the re-enforcing bracket a few degrees (I don't remember the exact degree of bend). That will match the curvature of the wheel pant.

Any late comers replacing oem nose fork the nose wheel pant conversion only requires drilling 3 attach holes on each flange of your existing pant and also attaching three nut plates on each fork and that is it. For specifics please email your phone number and I?ll discuss with you. Doug

Back