What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT GPS Data out wire missing.

LUKLA

Folks, Another nightmare in wiring process.
Vans plan and wiring schematic says. GREY/PURPLE wire coming from WH00046 is for ELT GPS data.
Schematic shows it is coming out of fuselage connector port #21. which is WH 00046.
In my case I do not have that grey/purple wire coming out from that port. white wire is coming out of that port.
where do I get the GPS data wire for my ELT.
I am doing dynon autopilot with AP Knob. I just receive the package last week.
WH 00046 cable is from 2013 its 4 years old.

Help me out Folks. What I am missing here.

Thanks
Lukla

If that white wire is actually a shielded cable, then chances are that it carries GPS data to the ELT. Make sure the shield and center conductor do not touch each other.

If that white wire is actually a shielded cable, then chances are that it carries GPS data to the ELT. Make sure the shield and center conductor do not touch each other.

Found out That white wire is actually for the GPS. But its not shield just little thicker than regular 18 awg wire.

Hopefully I am right and it works.

thanks
Lukla

That wire might not look like shielded wire, but probably is. There is no reason for a wire designed to carry a small signal to be larger than an 18 AWG wire. Several builders did not realize the wire was coaxial and wondered why the GPS did not work. The center conductor and shield were shorted at the ELT end.

That wire might not look like shielded wire, but probably is. There is no reason for a wire designed to carry a small signal to be larger than an 18 AWG wire. Several builders did not realize the wire was coaxial and wondered why the GPS did not work. The center conductor and shield were shorted at the ELT end.

Sounds like it is. I will have to check tomorrow. This morning took me hrs to find the wire coz I had to trace each and every wire.
Its fun some time.

Thanks anyway
Lukla

Shielded!

Pin #21 on the WH-00046 is a AWG 22 single conductor shielded wire. The plans call for a colored wire, but when unavailable a white wire with label is substituted.

For the ELT, this wire is for GPS signal, and the shield is used for ground contact on elt end. (The shield is tied into ground on the connector side). The third wire running to the ELT is Wht/Red from pin #27, and is the power contact at the ELT end.

Hope that helps!

Pin #21 on the WH-00046 is a AWG 22 single conductor shielded wire. The plans call for a colored wire, but when unavailable a white wire with label is substituted.

For the ELT, this wire is for GPS signal, and the shield is used for ground contact on elt end. (The shield is tied into ground on the connector side). The third wire running to the ELT is Wht/Red from pin #27, and is the power contact at the ELT end.

Hope that helps!

It helps big time. You sounds like, you know exactly what you are talking about. This is what makes this place better than anywhere else.
thanks a lot, it makes my day easier.

thanks
Lukla

Back