What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron tubes; ACF50, Boeshield experts?

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm figuring out how to prime the tubes for the aileron hardware.

Is there an advantage of ACF-50, or Boeshield T9 for this? I like those options over trying to clean the inside of the tubes prior to sloshing paint because it seems I can just fill and drain with those and the job is done well; then the ends can be installed without waiting or even a paint buildup on the parts.

Is there a tradeoff/disadvantage to them?

thanks!

If you plan on using a Corrosion Inhibiting Compound type treatment, I would recommend using a CIC that leaves a waxy coating such as Boeshield T9. You can fully assemble the push rods and then apply the CIC by simply unscrewing the rod end bearings. This is how I treated the inside of my wing push rods.

I like that better than trying to put AKZO in there without any real surface prep. I could dip the rods in some metal prep but the idea of just spraying in the T9 seems easy enough. Is it bad if it gets on the threads?

I like that better than trying to put AKZO in there without any real surface prep. I could dip the rods in some metal prep but the idea of just spraying in the T9 seems easy enough. Is it bad if it gets on the threads?

I wouldn't dip the rods in metal prep. The Boeshield will not affect the rod end threads in any way except for additional corrosion protection. The rod ends are secured using jam, or "check" nuts.

The literature on the Boeshield says "it dries to a thin waxy film that clings to metal for months." Do you need to worry about the finish flaking off? Do you need to reapply every annual? I did the slosh method already but am thinking about doing this as extra protection.

Back