What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Florida Pilots N Paws Trip

dmaib

Well Known Member
I flew from New Smyrna Beach up to Quincy, FL yesterday to pick up six rescue puppies from Lafayette, LA. These guys had traveled by van from Lafayette to Pensacola, where they were picked up by "DaveBear" who works with the shelter in Pensacola. DaveBear delivered them via SUV to Quincy, FL where I picked them up.
We picked Quincy rather than Tallahassee mainly due to favorable fuel price. ($3.95 per gallon vs. $5.XX) Well, Quincy (2J9) turned out to be a little jewel! 2964 foot hard surface runway, a nice new terminal building, and some very nice people. Lots of skydiving activity at this airport, particularly evenings and weekends. It is about 20 miles NW of KTLH and is set in the beautiful woods of NW Florida.

I refueled (even topped off the tip tanks at that price!), we loaded the pups, and off to Lakeland we went. A bit of yipping and howling while taxiing for takeoff, (the pups, not me:)) but settled into a group snooze once airborne.
We were met at KLAL's Columbia Aviation by Bill and Kim from the Lakeland SPCA. They, along with the great staff at Columbia, helped unload the six pax, and I headed back home.

Here is a short slideshow of this fun trip.

http://picasaweb.google.com/damaib/Movies#

Dave, you twanged my heartstrings....

...with this post. As my preacher Dad would say...."Jewels in your crown someday"

Best,

I did a drop off at Quincy and thought it was one of the coolest airports out there. I am glad we choose Quincy versus a bigger airport because once we opened the doors the dogs bolted out of the airplane. I also did my first and only grass take-off there.

Great Job!

Love the photos...love the music (the song is so appropriate)...love the message these photos convey...these dogs will get a good home...thanks to you and other folks who care.

P.S. Thought I'd share a story. You know, we've always heard that a dog is man's best friend. Well, here's one way to prove it. Put both your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car and drive about 20 miles out in the country. Open the trunk and see which one is glad to see you!

(My apologies to the wives...) :)

Last edited:
re: Quincy

We landed at Quincy in the 150 on our way to S-N-F a couple of years ago. You're right, it is a nice little airport. Isn't there a prison just across the way to the West from it?

Marshall Alexander

I haven't been to Quincy in a while but I think Marianna has a prison on the west side of the airport.

Good on you Dave. We did 3 of those profiles while were in GA this winter.
We transfered gnd to air at CEW, MAI, VDF, all were good. I think you could fly one of those trips every few days if you could afford it. Great fun eh?

We did a trip with two planes today for one terrier - central MO to central MI.

Dick Sipp
RV-10

re: oops

I haven't been to Quincy in a while but I think Marianna has a prison on the west side of the airport.

That's right. We used both airports, one on the way down and the other on the way home. One had the prison west of it, forgot which one.:eek:

Marshall Alexander

Nice work Dave! I have not flown any dogs lately due to a new home purchase and move but it looks like I may be flying one this Saturday from Lake City, FL to Perry, Ga.

The New Smyrna Beach Balloon Fest/Airshow is this weekend, so my airplane will be stuck in the hangar from Friday afternoon until late Sunday. Otherwise, I was planning on going to Cannon Creek.

Back