What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

static port location

jacksel

Well Known Member
Dwg 28 shows the static port(s) just forward of bulkhead 708. On my RV-6 it's one bulkhead forward (707). Seemed weird to me so I called Van's and they had no explanation except to say that the testing was done in that location. I have a QB fuselage, so it's going to be considerably less convenient in the prescribed location because the aft topskin is already installed. Anyone had any experience installing the ports in a location other than the plans? I have no problem deviating from the plans in a case like this, if I have some data supporting my decision.

I went through the same decision and installed the port in the aft location listed for the 7. I made some cross members out of 2X4's to bridge across the j-stringers and a plywood platform to get back there. It was easier than reaching from the sides.

I have used it many times since for wiring back there too.

I can not comment on the performance comparison between the locations, but these birds are reported to be sensitive to location and shape and that affected my decision. YMMV

Happy Building!

Thanks...yeah I think I'll go through the extra trouble and put them where the plans say. Don't like to deviate without a good reason

jacksel

Back