What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine cowl fasteners

jacksel

Well Known Member
I'm sure this question has probably been discussed numerous times on the forum. I'm really tired of wrestling with those upper hinge pins on my RV-6. And I would really like to investigate the possibility of replacing them with some more conventional fasteners for my RV-7. And possibly retrofitting them on my 6. Are there quarter-turn fasteners that have proven good on the RV's? Does anyone offer a kit?

skybolt.com

Numerous builders chose this option. They make a total cowl kit and partial kits.

Firewall 1/4 turn. Cowl sides are hinged.

They have worked great on my -6 for 225+ hours.

2z70j7o.jpg

1/4 turn around the firewall, and kept the hinge between the haves. I thing that looks best.

CC

Yep ..... for me it's the best combination of practical and aesthetics. Pulling my top cowl takes 2 minutes. (Yes, I've timed it. :)) I used Milspec and have high praise for them.

Definitely Skybolt

I'm sure this question has probably been discussed numerous times on the forum. I'm really tired of wrestling with those upper hinge pins on my RV-6. And I would really like to investigate the possibility of replacing them with some more conventional fasteners for my RV-7. And possibly retrofitting them on my 6. Are there quarter-turn fasteners that have proven good on the RV's? Does anyone offer a kit?

Skybolt offers prefabricated mounting flanges that saved me a lot of time and the professional look is much better than I could fabricate. I don't think Milspec offers the flanges. Get the flanges. As far as the sides, I went back and forth. Quite frankly, the tie breaker is that the fasteners look good on the sides and are functional. I see no restrictions to changing out the hinges on the RV6. Also, for bulging between the fasteners, I used another Skybolt product called Skybeam to carry loads around the firewall. An option is to glass in a bead of clear hose around the inner skin adjacent to the firewall fasteners. Either method works perfect to carry the load and is a no brainier to fabricate.

ThirtyW

I'm using the Skybolt fasteners but have a question about shimming; am I suppose to use the shimming called out on drawing 45 with the Skybolt flanges?

Paul
N277PM
Lafayette IN
FWF phase
2013 dues paid

Used the Skybolts for the top cowl along the firewall and the sides. For the bottom cowl, I used #10 flat head screws with washers into nutplates. You have to look pretty hard to see the difference. Pulling the top is really fast, and the bottom, when I have to do it, doesn't really take long either.

Dan

Back