What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fiberglass canopy fairing

jacksel

Well Known Member
Has anyone used the fiberglass canopy fairing from spruce? Part # 05-03664. Apparently it's adaptable for any RV-7 slider. I can remember a real wrestling match getting those aluminum skirts on my RV-6. And I've never been 100% happy with them. So just wondering if it might be worth considering the pre-fab fiberglass offering from spruce.

Some folks make fiberglass rear fairing. Looks like it makes a better seal and I think it will be easer than the two piece alum. installation. I'm not quite there but that's my plan. That being said, I've never done any fiberglassing so all the fiberglass work will be a new adventure! But then I've never built an airplane before and I think it's gone good so far.

Well, I made the fiberglass around the windshield and did the aluminum skirts on the rear. I have not done any fiberglass rears. With that said I seem to be very slow getting fiberglass to look the way I want it to but even though I made 3 or 4 sets of rear skirts before I had a set I was happy with I would still do the aluminum again. I have heard of fiberglass cracking over time. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Yeah I realized a few seconds after I posted the thread that I did not look closely enough. The spruce part is just the windshield.

So ok, but still, has anyone tried one of these for the windscreen..? Looks like a potential time saver. A bit pricey, but maybe worth considering if it's a good fit, we'll made, etc... So anyone tried one?
Thanks!

Fiberglass parts

The company that makes the parts is located in Long beach. I bought both the windscreen parts and the canopy skirt. It required so much reqork to make it fit and in my opinion it wasnt worth the cost of the parts. If I was to do it again, I would lay up my own parts and get them to fit perfectly.

Back