What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Leading edge build order

GeoffH

Hello

The manual has us cleco the leading edge together, fit it to the spar, match drill, then fully build the tanks before finishing and installing the leading edge.

Would it be possible to rivet the leading edge assembly together, and then either rivet or cleco it to the spar before starting the tank?

After reading ahead the only difference I've noticed is the doubler / splice strip nut plates would get installed after the strip was riveted to the leading edge in order to match the screw holes to the tank skin.

Has anyone tried this build order? I'm trying to use the large number of clecos efficiently and to continue making progress without the tanks being finished.

Thanks
Geoff

Last edited:
My take

I followed the plans and had no problems; the build order seemed fine. If it is a question of not having enough clecos, I would recommend you buy more because they are cheap. I built both wings at the same time, but they can be done one at a time.

You'll need the extra clecos when you get to the fuselage anyway - just go ahead and order them.

Thanks. I had about 450 of them, but that's not enough to do both wings at the same time. Quick drive to Aircraft Spruce this morning to get another 250, hopefully that gets me closer.

Back