What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AVIDYNE IFD440 and Garmin G5 annunciators

sf260

It is my understanding that when connected to a Garmin GNS-430W or a GTN-650 via a GAD29(B) and ARINC-429, a G5 has the capability of serving as an annunciator panel for the GPS. In other words one need not install an additional annunciator panel if a properly connected and configured G5 is in the pilot's field of view.

If my assumption is correct on the annunciator issue -- can the same be said when using an AVIDYNE unit? Does the AVIDYNE unit send the proper "annunciator" labels over the -429 interface that the G5 can interpret and display?

I am considering installing a new GPS and already have two G5's in place in my panel. Not having to put in a new annunciator panel is a consideration.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that when connected to a Garmin GNS-430W or a GTN-650 via a GDL29(B) and ARINC-429, a G5 has the capability of serving as an annunciator panel for the GPS. In other words one need not install an additional annunciator panel if a properly connected and configured G5 is in the pilot's field of view.

If my assumption is correct on the annunciator issue -- can the same be said when using an AVIDYNE unit? Does the AVIDYNE unit send the proper "annunciator" labels over the -429 interface that the G5 can interpret and display?

I am considering installing a new GPS and already have two G5's in place in my panel. Not having to put in a new annunciator panel is a consideration.

Hello Brian,

It "should" be the case that the navigator you mention provides the same RS-232 and A429 digital data to the G5 units such that they will provide all the required annunciations like they do with GNS/GTN units, but we have only tested with all the Garmin navigators and portable units shown in the G5 installation manual.

Thanks,
Steve

Back