What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angle Aluminum source

galt1074

I screwed up...

I made a bonehead mistake and cut a piece too short. Easy fix...just order a new part. The only problem is I can't find the materials.
I need to find 30" long, 1/8" thick 1 1/4 x 1 6061 T6 angle aluminum. The only trick is I am US service member living overseas and it doesn't appear anyone in Europe sells that kind of material and the ones in the US won't ship via USPS.
Anyone know of a company that will ship something like that via USPS (the military post office is USPS) so it won't cost me $100 to get it shipped here?
Anyone know of a company in Europe that could ship it to my house?

Greg

It doesn't help any, but I'm pretty sure I goofed up the same part a different way and the only company that carried that size angle at a reasonable price was Van's. But I also didn't have the shipping issue to contend with.

USPS

If you ask nicely, Van's will ship USPS. You need to be aware if the package gets lost they won't replace it. I've never lost a package, so I always use USPS when possible - much cheaper and more convenient.

BJ,

1) I can't believe I haven't seen an Aircraft Spruce EU website until now.
2) They want almost as much for the part and for shipping as I can get it from the US via international shipping!
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm sure that will be handy.

Mickey, I sent an email to Vans yesterday about that very thing but I haven't heard back yet. The only other parts I've had to replace were in the tail and they managed to ship those USPS for me.

Yep, I messed up and cut one of the lower longerons too short. Can't imagine how I did that as I specifically remember measuring twice and telling myself that I didn't want to cut it short because it would be hard to get new parts. I've got 30' of 3/4 x 3/4 because I bought extra with my fuselage kit...if I had messed up something made out of that I could easily recover...of course I messed up a dimension of angle that is basically impossible to find if you don't go back to Vans.

Greg

LAS Aerospace - UK ACS distributor

Check with LAS aero, they are a UK company, and may have a different price from the German distributor.

https://www.lasaero.com/lasaero/spruce/

A quick check of their website doesn’t have the exact profile you are after but give them a call, if spruce sell it they can get it. In my limited experience so far!

Last edited:
Thanks

Everyone, thank you for your replies.

I resolved the issue by ordering the part through Vans. They charged me about $6 for the part and about $25 for shipping.
Aircraft Spruce US wanted about $20 for the part and about $40 for shipping.
Aircraft Spruce EU wanted the same but in Euros which is about 15% more.
LAS wanted about $40 for the part and wouldn't accept my payment as a US citizen...never figured out how much they would charge for shipping.

One stupid cut and there goes $30...could have been a lot more I guess.

Greg

Back