- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzer View Post
Thank you, you are absolutely right. I spoke with MD-RA about it and they confirmed that the most appropriate way would be to keep some parts partially opened so inspector may access there and check rivets, etc. Especially wings which, as I understood, needs to be checked rivet by rivet.
All the inspections I have had required all parts open for inspection, not just the big components.
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
All the inspections I have had required all parts open for inspection, not just the big components.
All parts - means vertical stabilizer, rudder, elevator etc?
Hmm, that means that after inspection a lot of riveting will be still required to get all parts completed.
Why do not they (inspectors) use simple snake camera - borescope ? It is so easy and removes so much headache for builder.
Vertical stabilizer completed on Nov 19, 2019.
My RV10 YouTube Build Vlog
RV10 Blog
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzer View Post
All parts - means vertical stabilizer, rudder, elevator etc?
Yes. That's what the regulations say.

Quote:
Hmm, that means that after inspection a lot of riveting will be still required to get all parts completed.
Correct, but the expectation is that all of that closing up riveting will be inspected in your final inspection.

Quote:
Why do not they (inspectors) use simple snake camera - borescope ? It is so easy and removes so much headache for builder.
Good question. Maybe because they can't get a rivet gauge on a rivet when using a borescope, or because the narrow field of view does mean you could miss an area and not realize it.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

The inspectors also get a good look at the rivets that you have done to that stage. If he is pleased with what he sees then one would assume the remainder should be of the same quality , providing the same person does the rivets. Like previously said the remainder van be visually inspected as much as possible on final.
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B. View Post
The inspectors also get a good look at the rivets that you have done to that stage. If he is pleased with what he sees then one would assume the remainder should be of the same quality , providing the same person does the rivets. Like previously said the remainder van be visually inspected as much as possible on final.
My experience is that the pre-close inspection is a workmanship inspection in which the inspector is looking at proper build quality and judging the builder.
For example, in my final inspection of my Rocket, the inspector walked into my hangar, saw my flying RV-9A and said 'let's just do the paperwork'. He understood that having built an airplane before and several annual inspections later, I probably know how to build airplanes.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 under construction
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
My experience is that the pre-close inspection is a workmanship inspection in which the inspector is looking at proper build quality and judging the builder.
For example, in my final inspection of my Rocket, the inspector walked into my hangar, saw my flying RV-9A and said 'let's just do the paperwork'. He understood that having built an airplane before and several annual inspections later, I probably know how to build airplanes.
Sorry Vern, I don't care how much experience I have (seventh build just completed) I want to have somebody else inspect my build before I fly. Just finishing up a build right now (not flown yet waiting for C of A papers) . I had two builder friends at separate times do a complete inspection as if they were going to be doing the first flight. They both found different things , nothing that would have caused flight problems but things that could be addressed. I then had my MD-RA inspector do his inspection. That's four people that checked this AC out , hopefully I will have no serious issues when I finally get to fly. I now feel I did my best to be safe.