- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Instrument Flight Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbDC9 View Post
One second after I released the PTT some idiot Southwest guy starts talking...
We (WN) are the worst at this...it drives me nuts. What the **** is the rush? I'd think most controllers would rather you forget to check in. This is one of my biggest pet peeves.
RV-9A N904DC
Old 11-09-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrojockey View Post
We (WN) are the worst at this...it drives me nuts. What the **** is the rush? I'd think most controllers would rather you forget to check in. This is one of my biggest pet peeves.
When trying to check on to a very busy frequency sometimes the best thing you can do is wait 5-10 minutes. Don’t wait if you Need something, but patience is appreciated. If the controller needs to get ahold of you they’ll be calling you!
Old 11-10-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post
When trying to check on to a very busy frequency sometimes the best thing you can do is wait 5-10 minutes. Don’t wait if you Need something, but patience is appreciated. If the controller needs to get ahold of you they’ll be calling you!
I rarely get IFR departures from my non-towered airport due to proximity to ORD. On one of those departures, I switched to approach at 500' off the runway and chatter was non-stop and I knew that wanted me in immediate contact. I was wondering how I could politely break in and they called out to me within 10 seconds of switching over.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 11-10-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:59 AM

For the love God and all that is holy if you press the PTT button and forget what you were going to say (it doesn't matter who are saying to, ATC, Tower, CTAF), please let the button go then figure out what you were going to say.
Just yesterday morning at a local EAA breakfast, I was about 15 miles out listening on their frequency and this person comes and says something like, "XYZ traffic, N12345, we are ummm........... (at least a 10 second pause while holding the PTT button) then continued with some worthless call. It was literally 12 seconds of garbage that tied up a busy airport's frequency while stepping on who knows how many other people trying to announce their intentions on 122.80.
RV-10 - Partnered with a good friend

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 11-10-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCP Boys View Post
For the love God and all that is holy if you press the PTT button and forget what you were going to say (it doesn't matter who are saying to, ATC, Tower, CTAF), please let the button go then figure out what you were going to say.
Agree 100% If ya have a brain fart (everyone does) and forget what you were going to say let go of the PPT.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE - THANK THE AMERICAN SOLDIER FOR YOURS!
Old 11-10-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post
Now, THIS is advice I can follow!!

Thanks

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Shrunken Exit = ??
No Photo? => PM me.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosaaber View Post
hi I work at Miami center and have been a controller since 89. We use altitude leaving to verify and validate your mode c. Now saying your altitude and assigned altitude is a good idea, otherwise you will hear verify assigned altitude. We want to make sure what is in the data block is factual. You have no idea how many times this has saved pilots and controllers from deviations. When we don't hear altitude leaving and assigned altitude it is like reading half a sentence.

Another scenario which is different but happens frequently... AAL57 is at FL360,High alt sector assigns AAL57 pilots discretion decent maintain FL240, AAL57 checks on with low altitude sector saying AAL57 FL360. Now the low altitude controller is confused. We have two options, get control from high so we can descend him or ask the pilot to verify his assigned altitude, both adding to workload.
Good to know best practice to help everyone stay on the same sheet of music.

RV-6, IO-320, Catto, G3X Panel (Thanks Walt!)