- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Default Need to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
The reality is that the technology genie is out of the bottle on this one, and it's going to be **** near impossible to put it back. You've been legislated to install systems that have unique identifiers built into an open-air broadcast stream. Calls to ATC are also done on open-air broadcasts. Correlating ATC calls to your unique identifiers probably isn't a difficult task for some combination of voice recognition and other software.
Yes, a positive, albeit surprising step.
Their real adventure will be trying to track (and penalize) Non-ADSB compliant flyers who simply refuse to install it and operate on the fringes of "required airspace" anyway.
Land of the free right?

Happy Vets day BTW, brothers in arms...
V/R
Smokey
Old 12-14-2019, 09:35 AM

Well, I have the 375 installed and now have a clean PAPR thanks to a recent cross country. I didn't talk to anybody during this flight to nowhere, and requesting the report was an afterthought.

Yet here was all the details of my journey, available to anybody with an internet connection, in spectacular detail.

Now that I've lived it, I don't like it one bit.

Bring on the anonymous mode, please!
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 12-14-2019, 09:48 AM

Also interesting, the outbound leg of the flight was in formation with another newly equipped ADSB aircraft and ATC asked wing (me) to "go to standby" for the flight.

It was my understanding that once equipped, it was a violation to disable the ADSB out if the aircraft is in motion. When asked, the Approach guy (Joshua Approach) indicated that he "had no ADSB capability".

I wonder if he is aware of the deadline looming?
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 12-14-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post

It was my understanding that once equipped, it was a violation to disable the ADSB out if the aircraft is in motion. When asked, the Approach guy (Joshua Approach) indicated that he "had no ADSB capability".
There was a rule in July that fixed that.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)

Last edited by scard : 12-14-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:31 AM

I really enjoy calling up various RVs that I'm aware of and seeing where they are and what they're doing, via FlightAware or FlightRadar24. It's the only flying I get to do anymore.

I'd miss it if everyone went invisible.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit
N612EF Builder log (EAA Builder log)
Old 12-15-2019, 09:39 AM

And it's that very fine line between benign (though still creepy) snooping and nefarious intent that some of us find so disturbing.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 12-16-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
And it's that very fine line between benign (though still creepy) snooping and nefarious intent that some of us find so disturbing.
Creepy? Ouch!. To me it's not much different than virtually hanging out at the airport and watching planes. I like to look at N numbers and google who they are and where they're from.

Or sitting on the deck, seeing a plane going overhead and calling up FlightAware because I fly vicariously know and I wonder who it is and where it's going.

But maybe I'm alone in being transfixed by such things. Wouldn't surprise me.

I'd be curious to know what sort of nefarious things people have been doing with FlightAware/FlightRadar24? I get the competitive/security concerns of the corporate types, I'm just unfamiliar with what's happening with GA types.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit

Last edited by LettersFromFlyoverCountry : 12-16-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettersFromFlyoverCountry View Post
Creepy? Ouch!. To me it's not much different than virtually hanging out at the airport and watching planes. I like to look at N numbers and google who they are and where they're from.

Or sitting on the deck, seeing a plane going overhead and calling up FlightAware because I fly vicariously know and I wonder who it is and where it's going.

But maybe I'm alone in being transfixed by such things. Wouldn't surprise me.

I'd be curious to know what sort of nefarious things people have been doing with FlightAware/FlightRadar24? I get the competitive/security concerns of the corporate types, I'm just unfamiliar with what's happening with GA types.
Ok, let's try the scenario in a different context:

A guy is hanging out in the Walmart parking lot and is watching cars come and go. Let's pretend he has the ability to Google license plates and see where the cars are from and who the owner is. This guy spots your wife or daughter and takes an interest. He decides to track her movement for the rest of the day on his iPad because he is transfixed by such things.

Even if the Walmart guy takes no action, is such behavior creepy or acceptable? And if you think it's acceptable, certainly you can imagine a nefarious next step, no?

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C

Last edited by Toobuilder : 12-16-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:49 AM

The 1090ES privacy solition from the FAA includes:

1. Never anonymous from any all trackers, including the FAA itself.

2. 1090ES call sign solution entails paying a private party to issue and manage call signs with fees and subscriptions

Currently available UAT 978 anonymous option has neither of those drawbacks.

Jim
Old 12-17-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Ok, let's try the scenario in a different context:

A guy is hanging out in the Walmart parking lot and is watching cars come and go. Let's pretend he has the ability to Google license plates and see where the cars are from and who the owner is. This guy spots your wife or daughter and takes an interest. He decides to track her movement for the rest of the day on his iPad because he is transfixed by such things.

Even if the Walmart guy takes no action, is such behavior creepy or acceptable? And if you think it's acceptable, certainly you can imagine a nefarious next step, no?
Yeah, stalking. I get it. I presume it's done all the time in Walmart parking lots (I stay away from Walmarts). I'm just not aware of how this is being done with FlightRadar24 etc. Is this a problem? I mean, yes, there are lots of things that could happen. I tend to think many scenarios are not significant or credible risks.

But in using the same word that I do -- transfixed -- you've obviously made the connection between me watching planes on FlightRadar24 and your creep in the Walmart parking lot.

It seems a bit over the top to me. But I suppose this is why they invented places like Idaho.
RV-12iS Powerplant kit

Last edited by LettersFromFlyoverCountry : 12-17-2019 at 10:19 AM.