What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bose QC35 with UFlyMike PIREP

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
Thought I would share my experiences in the RV world with this setup since there hasn't been many reviews for this rig in GA. I wanted a standby/passenger headset for my airplane that didn't cost so much for something that saw very little use.

My wife and I went for up for a quick ride and she used my A20s while I test-drove the QC35s with the UFlyMike. With only one limitation, I liked how they performed.

1. They are very comfortable comared to the A20s
  2. The audio quality was as good as the A20s
  3. No bluetooth audio sources when UflyMike is attached. The UFlyMike does have an aux input for your phone/etc. The sources are not muxed but rather switched on the controller. This is not as seamless as the A20s
  4. Noise reduction was only slightly less than the A20s, as the passive reduction was not as good blocking lower frequencies
  5. The mic gain is fully adjustable making intercom conversation excellent
  6. There is some limit to the capability of the ANR compared to the A20s. During takeoff the ANR was popping and cracking, which stopped as soon as we lifted off and never appeared again during the flight. Presumably, the additional noise reflecting off the runway does this. I experienced this behavior using Lightspeed Zulus when flying large radials...not sure why the ANR does this and how it effects the headset life.
  7. There's no safety threat when QC35 battery dies. The mike and earphones go to passive mode and Coms are maintained...just no ANR
  8. There have been complaints on the UFlyMike housing wearing from use so it doesn't secure to the QC35s well.
  9. New option for mic length was welcomed by my big head.

Overall the performance of the QC35/UFlyMike met my expectations...I was fairly pleased. There are some limits, but they surely beat out all passive headsets and some ANRs

I would also give consideration to the NFlight MIC NOMAD PRO.

I've put a few thousand hours on this with my BOSE QC 35 II in an Airbus and it is the greatest. I'll add my opinion on the UFLIGHTMIKE, a few years ago when they changed the design from an all in one unit to the current modular design that they slipped some in their quality and the type of design. I feel that the NFlight MIC is a much better design and in the Airbus, you'll have to pry my cold dead hands off of it!!!! (Never tried it in my RV7, I used Bose A20's and really like them.)

https://nflightmic.com/products/nflightmic-nomad-aviation-microphone

I have the NFlight setup. The first one tower had trouble hearing me, even though all my other headsets were fine. NFlight was very easy to exchange it.

Wife used them last weekend for our trip. She liked how quite they are, but noticed when you turn your head the headset doesn't clamp strong enough and it will get noisey.

I suspect like all headsets it is all personal preference. I need to take her shopping so she can figure out what headset she likes best.

I like the QC35/UFlyMike combo enough that it will probably be my work rig, and I'll keep my A20s for the RV

Back