What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt Oil door question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
Are the skybolt fasteners for the oil door the same as the ones for the cowling? Or are they just the fasteners the fit into the receptacles for the original fasteners supplied with the kits?

Inquiring minds want to know...what was the answer? I still need to do something with my oil door.

Thanks

Jay

I?m working with these right now as well. The oil door kit has two miniature Skybolts. I estimate they are 1/3 the size of the regular ones for the cowl. Work the same way. They do not include a metal flange to mount. I?m just thickening the fiberglass a bit from the underside, then squeezing the required two rivets each to attach. Very simple and secure.

I have two extra skybolt fasteners from the top FW cowl kit. I thought that I could use those. But the oil door already has holes drill for the fasteners. I was trying to figure out how to enlarge the holes. I could not figure it out how to enlarge, so I figured that the oil door fasteners had to smaller and as pointed out they are miniature versions of the ones for the cowl.

I ordered direct from Skybolt for about $15 for the kit.

I used flush fasteners and just made a new door since the pre-drilled holes did not match. Easy to do.

Back