What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Separate ADS-B In & Out

FasGlas

Well Known Member
Has anyone used and had any problems going with separate ADS-B in and out systems? I want to install my 600-B for out only and use my Pathfinder remote to my EFIS for in only. The 600-B can display on my 430W only, the Pathfinder can display on the EFIS & WiFi only. I can shut off ADS-B out when needed and not effect Traffic or weather on the EFIS. My only potential problem might be ghosting, the out triggers the in.

Has anyone used and had any problems going with separate ADS-B in and out systems?

I can shut off ADS-B out

I have 1090 MHz ADSB-out (Trig TT22 transponder) and Skyradar D2 ADSB-in, displayed via USB on GRT Hx displays, and via WiFi on an iPad with WingX. No ghosting, the Hx filters out my N number as does WingX.

Except with ATC permission (e.g., formation flight), you are not supposed to shut -out off. If in formation, I would think you would want -in off too, to keep from being nagged about the proximity to the lead.

No problem using two completely different products for ADSB-in and ADSB-Out. They run independently from each other and there are no interoperability requirements to address.

No problem at all. Works great! I actually prefer seperate in and out for many reasons. Price is one. Avoiding obsolescence over time is another, which is a cheap and easy fix with a seperate "in" every few years while leaving the original "out" device in place. The only rule to observe is to have only one "out" device on the aircraft, of only one type (UAT or 1090ES). You can have as many "ins" onboard as you like, one of them being the "in" from a combination in/out device.

A listing of my "out" and "in" devices, one line per bird that play well together:

Luscombe 8A:
GDL 82 with Scout "in" for smartphone apps

Aviat Husky A-1B-200:
Freeflight RANGR Lite "out" with GDL 52 "in" for front and back seat aera 660s and Garmin Pilot

Cessna 140:
Freeflight RANGR Lite "out" with GDL 50 "in" for aera 660 and Garmin Pilot

RV-8:
Garmin GTX 23ES linked to GPS 20A "out" with GDL 52 "in" for G3X Touch, back seat aera 660 and Garmin Pilot

RV-3B:
uAvionix EchoUAT "out"/"in" with Garmin GDL 50 "in" for any app or portable GPS made
(Echo was only device that required tweaking to get good PAPR report)

Comanche 260B:
Garmin GDL 88 wired to GTX 327 for GTN 750 and Garmin Pilot

Cessna 180J:
Garmin GDL 88 wired to GTX 327 for GTN 650 and Garmin Pilot

I have also installed for friends:

Comanche 250:
Garmin GDL 82 talking to a GTX 327 with Stratux Raspberry Pie "in" kit with two belly antennas and remote USB GPS puck for smartphone/iPad apps

Piper Super Cub:
GDL 82 with GTX 327 "out" and GDL 52R "in" for an aera 660 and Garmin Pilot

Two Avidyne Cirrus SR22's:
GDL 82 with GTX 327 and owners' "in", one with WAAS position from GTN 750, the other from internal

Diamond DA 40:
GDL 82 with internal GPS with GTX 327 and owner's portable "in"

Mooney M20C:
GDL 82 with internal GPS with Narco 150 and GDL 52R for an aera 796 and Garmin Pilot

Bonanza V35:
GDL 82 with GNC 430W WAAS source with GTX 327 and owner's Scout "in"

All work great w/o interference

Jim

Last edited:
just for an instant, twice...

I use a GTX330ES for ADS-B out and Stratus 2 and Foreflight for ADS-B in. I have been using this setup since Feb 2017. On 2 occasions, The ipad gave me an alert that there was a plane that was within 100 ft of me. Heart rate goes up for a moment and don't see anything outside the airplane. Then a moment later, the target disappears. I guess some how it sees me, maybe through a ground radar fed back to me through ADS-B, and then finally realizes it is me and removes the target? Otherwise, no issues.

For a while I used the DYNON Transponder as my ADS-B "OUT" and a Stratux for my ADS-B "IN" displayed on my Android tablet running FltPlanGo. Now I have the DYNON ADSB-472 as my "IN" but still use the Stratux/FltPlanGo combination as a "backup" ADS-B "IN". Works great for me.

23f2.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
I use a GTX330ES for ADS-B out and Stratus 2 and Foreflight for ADS-B in. I have been using this setup since Feb 2017. On 2 occasions, The ipad gave me an alert that there was a plane that was within 100 ft of me. Heart rate goes up for a moment and don't see anything outside the airplane. Then a moment later, the target disappears. I guess some how it sees me, maybe through a ground radar fed back to me through ADS-B, and then finally realizes it is me and removes the target? Otherwise, no issues.

I have a Stratus ESG out with a Garmin GDL39 in. If I'm climbing fast and turn I get a warning that says theres traffic within 100 feet. I think it takes my Stratus a second or two to catch up. If I'm climbing at less than 1500fpm or not turning I don't get it.

I've got a similar set-up, ADS600B using the 430W as its position source and displaying traffic on the 430W. A GDL-39 feeds ADSB IN to a panel mounted 796 and anything that wants to connect with BT. Works great, no conflicts although I sometimes get different traffic between the two probably because the 600B antenna is on the bottom and the GDL is on the glare shield so there is some fuselage blocking.

Another "No Issues" separate systems vote:

Garmin 400W feeding GDL-82 using a GTX-327 with ball and stick antenna.

Stratux (with GPS puck temporarily disabled until WingX gets their act together) using both 1090 and 978 tuners, going to another ball and stick antenna optimized for 978 (I like my weather) only 18 inches from the transponder antenna. I get plenty of 1090 feed off the 978 antenna.

Back