What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

?Buck?s? replacement comes home

Av8safe

Well Known Member
Well, the story finally comes to a happy conclusion, as I returned home on Friday with my new RV-7 to replace the one I had a deer strike with in November.

This gem was crafted by a retired orthopedic surgeon who was an electrical engineer before he went on to medical school. Roger is now 86 years young and slowing down a bit...I am honored to become the new steward of his fine work.

Many thanks to those in this community who helped me along the way. Especially thankful to DR for putting my story front and center when I first shared it on the forum. That lead to Oly Olson reaching out and helping facilitate the match, thanks Oly. Then there is Vic, who came out for a second time to do the pre-buy. You cannot help but be impressed with Vic and his passion for safety and this sport. Finally, thanks to my friend Terry who was with me when I took out the deer (and first RV) for agreeing to come down again and fly off my insurance familiarization with me.

Beautiful weather Friday in the Midwest for the solo flight home...but a tad chilly even for a Minnesota guy! Went up today to do some pattern work and still smiling as I make this post!

Now it?s time to learn some more about this beautiful bird and make some great memories.

Mitch

Mitch,
I am so pleased that you are the new steward of Rogers RV. I watched him build the plane, helped him a little bit, but in the end, his project convinced me to build my RV10. Good luck with the plane, watch out for the deer!
Bill

KSUS hospitality

Bill,

Thank you, it was a pleasure getting to meet you. KSUS has quite the RV community going on...hope to come visit again some day!

Mitch

RV-7

Nice job getting it home Mitch. Glad everything worked out but it was a starting to become a saga. After his “Venison Hunting” expedition on the last airplane his life continued with Murphy’s law on the new -7.

A) The battery was too low to start the engine - after charging for a couple hours problem solved. It hadn’t been flown for a while.
B) After a couple local pattern touch & gos the flaps wouldn’t go down because the safety wire on the flap rod end bearing broke and the bearing had backed out and disconnected - rod end retightened and safety wired, problem fixed.

I would have been a little more frustrated but Mitch was calm, cool and collected the whole time and handled everything in stride. Mitch had a Garmin panel in the last RV and I think he will enjoy the new -7 as soon as he gets comfortable with the GRT avionics.

And it was a pleasure for me finally getting to meet Vic Syracuse who did the pre buy. He was very complimentary about Roger’s build and has a great sense of humor as well. We talked about the RV Maintenance webinar he did and I relayed how after watching it I went back for a thorough inspection on my -8. I found the jam nut loose on the cockpit prop control rod that I thought I had previously tightened so he gets a “save” for that one.

The one bad deal on this airplane is that’s it’s not here and I don’t get to fly it anymore. I love my -8 but flying Roger’s -7 was always a hoot. With that lightweight 3 blade Catto prop it was more like flying an electric motor, it was that smooth.

Enjoy the new ride Mitch!

Last edited:
Well done

Well done to everyone involved. As long as a good RV went to a good home then all is well. RV uber alles :)

Vic hired that deer. Good for business. Sorta like the Godfather sending Luca Brasi. Same result for the deer ;)

Georgia Weather in October

Carol,

Tell Vic I am expecting beautiful weather in October when I pay a visit!

Back