What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SDS Billet Valve Covers For Angle Valve

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
Coming soon down the pipeline will be these billet valve covers for angle valve Lycomings. Static testing on the prototypes will start April 16 with engine tests to follow soon after.

We hope for market release in June if all goes well.

These use a new sealing/ fastener setup which should stop leaks and fasteners loosening.

Actual Part

Some software glitches at the machine shop delayed this part a day but we have the prototype now so can proceed with fitment and static leak tests tomorrow. If all goes well, we can run 4 parts for on-engine testing next week.

First Test

The covers and new gasket setup passed the static leak test over the last 2 days. I tweaked some dimensions slightly and 4 production ones will be machined next week to go on an engine for flight testing next month.

As of late today, we're going to make a slight design change after Trevor came up with a better idea than I had on the original design. This should speed up machining of the parts, reduce the fastener price a bit and end up saving a bit more weight. We'll have to run another prototype to test though and remake some other bits. Evolving the design to give folks the slickest thing possible here.

The new design custom seals are in hand now, kudos to a fantastic US company for their awesome parts and service. Nice to deal with folks like this, they had the new ones done before we had our parts machined.

The second prototype VC should be in hand tomorrow. Anxious to static test that and get 4 more pre-production ones made quick to get on an engine soon after.

How does the weight compare to stamped units?
I'll get them on a scale Monday afternoon hopefully.
Any weight comparison to the stamped Lycoming units yet?

The new design custom seals are in hand now...
I though I read that your other units for the parallel valve engines use a standard O-Ring seal. I gotta say that I prefer that over something custom I may not be able to get in 10 years.

Any weight comparison to the stamped Lycoming units yet?

I though I read that your other units for the parallel valve engines use a standard O-Ring seal. I gotta say that I prefer that over something custom I may not be able to get in 10 years.

The initial prototype is not quite representative of the new production parts but I'll be picking up the 2nd proto tomorrow it looks like. Will throw that on the scale and see where we're at.

Unfortunately it was impossible to use an OTS O-ring on the AV covers like the PV ones so we had to go custom.

I'll be sure to make these available to valve cover buyers for years to come. They are not too expensive so people could stock up if they are worried about future supply and they should be reusable 2-3 times at least.

Valve covers

If you would, put, my name on the list for a set of the angle head valve covers. Thank you

Put me down for 4

I love the look. 'F4 Raptor' engraving if that is an option.
Thanks
Ron

Thanks.

If you provide the graphic as a PDF or other common vector file, we can laser etch it on there. :)

On The Scale

I got the VCs on the scale today.

Stock steel cover with standard thick silicone gasket is 238 grams.

The SDS cover with our gasket is coming in at 188 grams. Barring differences in fastener weight, looks like you'd save around 50 grams per cover.

Static leak test completed over the weekend was successful. We'll be machining 4 pre-production covers late this week hopefully to complete engine testing on soon.

We'll place the gasket order tomorrow to get those in process so they don't delay deliveries.

Pre-production

We made 4 pre-production covers which will go out to a beta tester this week for on-engine evaluation.

Once we're satisfied that they perform as designed, we'll do a production run.

So theoretically a weight savings of 0.66 lbs if used on a 6 cyl. But then you're locked into a custom gasket, though I imagine that wouldn't be hard to source yourself if you needed. What are the other advantages of this product?

The other advantages are they won't leak and the bolts won't come loose since there is complete metal to metal contact between cover, cylinder and fastener.

Should be higher heat transfer from the oil to cover being aluminum instead of steel but unless you had a lot of air blowing over them, doubtful that would be significant in reducing oil temps on a fully cowled engine.

Can have custom colors and logos for those who want to dress up or customize their engine.

I believe they are less expensive than the factory chromed covers.

I have all the parts back now for the first 4 pre-production covers. Weight for each VC with gasket and hardware is 242 grams, the production ones measure in at 292 grams.

Last edited:
Stock steel cover with standard thick silicone gasket is 238 grams.

I have all the parts back now for the first 4 pre-production covers. Weight for each VC with gasket and hardware is 242 grams, the production ones measure in at 292 grams.

Do I have this right, your production aluminum units are coming in at 292 grams, or 54 grams heavier, than the lycoming stock steel (238 grams), per cylinder?

There is complete metal to metal contact between cover, cylinder and fastener.
Are you saying that the gasket's preload is set when the fasteners are torqued and you have metal-to metal contact? And that the preload is not a user-adjustable parameter like it is with the steel stock units? (I like that)

Am I correct in assuming your covers are not compatible with Real Gasket Corp's silicone gaskets?
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/lycgasket.php

And finally, what is the cost?

Do I have this right, your production aluminum units are coming in at 292 grams, or 54 grams heavier, than the lycoming stock steel (238 grams), per cylinder?

Are you saying that the gasket's preload is set when the fasteners are torqued and you have metal-to metal contact? And that the preload is not a user-adjustable parameter like it is with the steel stock units? (I like that)

Am I correct in assuming your covers are not compatible with Real Gasket Corp's silicone gaskets?
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/lycgasket.php

And finally, what is the cost?

I think you may not have measured the stock one with gasket and hardware.

Correct, you can smoke down the fasteners and gasket compression is always the same. The VC makes metal to metal contact with the head.

You must use our gaskets. Our VCs are not compatible with any other gasket types or brands. We supply 2 sets with each cover order and will sell replacements at below the cost of other aftermarket silicone gasket suppliers.

You must use our gaskets. Our VCs are not compatible with any other gasket types or brands. We supply 2 sets with each cover order and will sell replacements at below the cost of other aftermarket silicone gasket suppliers.

If there was a supplier that I was dependent upon I would be OK with it being Ross. It's pretty hard to beat his commitment to customer satisfaction.

We appreciate the kind words!

I see I missed a previous question on cost. It looks like they will be $115US ea anodized in red, gold, black or clear with hardware and 2 gaskets per cover.

Last edited:
Production covers finally in hand

I received the first batch of production angle valve covers today so can start filling orders when I return from Reno. I'll be contacting those who are on the "list" to get color choices finalized.

Here is the first full look at the sealing system.

Full set of parts for one cylinder with stainless socket head cap screws, AN washers and custom silicone gasket. 2 Gaskets will be provided per cover.

Raised spigots ensure consistent gasket compression while fasteners can be fully torqued down.

Darwin Barrie sent me a photo of our billet rocker covers installed on his AV IO-390 today. Thanks Darwin. They look great on there.

Billet valve cover depth for angle valve

Can you quote depth on angle valve cover ? I have roller rockers that need clearance.
Thanks

Back