VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-07-2017, 09:57 AM

Justin,

Is your unit a 112/113 or 012/013? Trying to determine if your issue is with the 'FAA Approved' internal GPS.

Looks like John Roser has a known good environment as a different unit worked in his plane. I also had my unit installed in a known good environment to verify my unit was bad. Might be a good idea to check with someone with a known good environment to test your unit in - since it just came back from service...we're assuming that they did a full test series before they shipped it to you.

I have a good antenna from my old GX60 that I will be using to test the internal GPS when it comes back as well - just to make sure all parts work as advertised. I also have my unit wired for a second display and will be testing that as well.

I expect to hear from Bill soon letting me know that my unit is on its way back to me as my unit went to him in early March. When I get mine back and working properly, I'll volunteer to test other boxes for folks - as others have done for me!
Old 05-07-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recapen View Post
Justin,

Is your unit a 112/113 or 012/013? Trying to determine if your issue is with the 'FAA Approved' internal GPS.
Ralph-

This is an ADS600-B (PN 200-0113-01-03) installed on a certified 172, so I don't believe it's affected by the AD. However I'm sure it uses the exact same parts. If someone is somewhere close to Oklahoma I'd be more than up to flying to their field and doing the swap test. Doesn't take a lot to convince me to go flying!

You're right at this point I'm assuming the unit had it's GPS module and was tested before they sent it back to me. So for now going to look at the configuration, antennas and what not. Whenever I get caught up in a troubleshooting loop I tend to start over, so I'm going to buy some new cables, swap those... buy a new antenna (Could us it on my 10 project) and try that.

I want to verify my configuration settings first. Here's what I currently have in there. Assuming Transmitter Control Panel is correct since that's green. GPS Source I tried both the setting shown below as well as one that was started with 'ADS-B+'.. thought I took a screenshot but guess I didn't. Anyhow I would think this is correct since I'm using a 600-B and it's assuming compliant internal GPS.

Donated for 2018
Old 05-07-2017, 12:22 PM

TRANS-MON refers the the device wrapped around your transponder antenna cable - it picks up the squawk and altitude transmitted over Mode C - your transponder must be in ALT mode for this to work (and transmitting)...and if you're using 'good' coax, there's a chance it might not pick up a signal consistently. The TRANS-MON has been the subject of other installation issues - you can search through these forums and find some more details. From what you have provided, I don't think this is your issue....

The 'ADS-B+' comes from a 430W (or similar device) via a serial connection. Your selection of "Compliant GPS" should be referring to the internal GPS....I don't remember the pull-down menu and the manual is not very specific in the details department here!

I found that I needed to either pull the plane outside the hangar or remote my GPS antenna for my 430W in order to get the Lat-Long to green-up. I used an extension coax cable to route my antenna outside when I was testing.

Mine responded with "READY FOR FLIGHT" in green but had a yellow TX/RX error box next to it. I sent it to another NAVWORX owner that has a known good infrastructure - and it didn't work there either - so I know at a minimum it was inside my box.

Hope this helped - instead of being ramblings of my installation.

Want mine back soon so I can get it in and working!
Old 05-08-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
Ralph-

This is an ADS600-B (PN 200-0113-01-03) installed on a certified 172, so I don't believe it's affected by the AD. However I'm sure it uses the exact same parts. If someone is somewhere close to Oklahoma I'd be more than up to flying to their field and doing the swap test. Doesn't take a lot to convince me to go flying!

You're right at this point I'm assuming the unit had it's GPS module and was tested before they sent it back to me. So for now going to look at the configuration, antennas and what not. Whenever I get caught up in a troubleshooting loop I tend to start over, so I'm going to buy some new cables, swap those... buy a new antenna (Could us it on my 10 project) and try that.

I want to verify my configuration settings first. Here's what I currently have in there. Assuming Transmitter Control Panel is correct since that's green. GPS Source I tried both the setting shown below as well as one that was started with 'ADS-B+'.. thought I took a screenshot but guess I didn't. Anyhow I would think this is correct since I'm using a 600-B and it's assuming compliant internal GPS.

Assuming that it was tested properly and the GPS was working, it looks like it may be an antenna issue. However, my unit was returned as operational with a failed display port. It wasn't until I spoke with Bill directly and he assured me that he would personal test the unit that the actual root cause was discovered. It was a bad serial port.

Are there any useful messages on the Reports: Status screen? I would think that your either seeing LAT/Long or some type of error message.

bob
Old 05-08-2017, 08:22 AM

Reports just scrolled 0's.

Donated for 2018
Old 05-08-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
Reports just scrolled 0's.

Do you have another GPS in the aircraft? If so, you may be able to temporarily swap antenna if the other antenna is supported by Navworx.

Which brand and model of GPS antenna do you currently have on the Navworx? I think I may have mentioned it earlier, but Garmin had a large failure rate on their GA 35. It was limited to a certain time period, which I can't recall at the moment. Mine failed just after the warranty expired.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:26 PM

Update on my 600-exp gps status config issue.
Appears to be an internal issue. No power at gps sma connector on the box itself.
Bill Moffit has been very responsive to my emails and diagnosing my issue. Box sent for repair.
Again, my unit was purchased last May and just installed last week. In light of all that is happening with Navworx, my confidence is becoming renewed.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroser View Post
Update on my 600-exp gps status config issue.
Appears to be an internal issue. No power at gps sma connector on the box itself.
Bill Moffit has been very responsive to my emails and diagnosing my issue. Box sent for repair.
Again, my unit was purchased last May and just installed last week. In light of all that is happening with Navworx, my confidence is becoming renewed.
How were you able to reach him? I have sent e-mails that are not responded to! I have a unit in there for repair since March.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:54 AM

Default ID incorrect

Has anyone had a situation where they program the 600 EXP with their N number and then the compliance report shows no ID being sent?
I got a nasty letter from Houston FAA saying my ID was missing. One paragraph said we believe you are using a portable transmitter. I have no idea where or how they got data to suggest that.
And my GPS solution must be pretty accurate, since they tracked me down from radar returns in class B airspace.
Anyway, if you have had any experience with confirming the N number (ICAO code) being broadcast incorrectly... post a reply. Thanks !

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes.Helicopter rated, balloon instructor, seaplanes and for grins, Phantom Drone pilot. Instructor for air medical and law enforcement tactical radio systems. Fly my RV9A to work every week. Janitor when and as needed.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 AM

Do you have the Anonymous VFR setting turned on?