Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2018, 08:31 PM

Default Flightaware - this looks like Big Brother to me.

Out of curiosity I typed in my RV-10's number into google and I discovered Flightaware.com. On that site I can track every flight I've made over the past 4 months, complete with altitude, speed and position for the duration of every flight. I was amazed, but also a little concerned. This just seemed a little too 'Big Brother'-ish for me. I'll assume it's getting all this info from my ADS-B system.

I also looked up my flight club's ancient Cessna 172 and found virtually no data (it doesn't have ADS-B yet).

I don't have anything to hide from anyone, but I also don't want everyone and their brother to know where I've been and what I'm doing. Is there a way to legally turn off whatever's broadcasting this info to the public, or is this just the way of the future from here on?
Build #41389, started Oct 2012
Current status: 1st Flight 11/10/17
Old 05-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

You do know what the "S" in ADSB stands for, dont you?

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-02-2018, 08:34 PM

Check out this link to block your N-number:

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/security/asdi/#how-block
Old 05-02-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
You do know what the "S" in ADSB stands for, dont you?
I did, but I didn't know this info would be made public and available for several months. I just figured it was a more advanced way to avoid collisions.
Build #41389, started Oct 2012
Current status: 1st Flight 11/10/17
Old 05-02-2018, 08:47 PM

If you’re 1090ES ever flight is logged by non-government Flightradar24.com. The only way to stay anonymous after complying with ADS-B is to have a UAT Out system that has an anonymous mode when squawking 1200.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:47 PM

Default You can block thru flightaware

https://flightaware.com/about/faq#blockmytail
Old 05-02-2018, 09:07 PM

Default ADS-B Exchange - World's largest co-op of unfiltered flight data

Yup, this is old news. Although you can request that the FAA and certain other sites block your info, some sites do not depend on the FAA's data, but rather just receives ADS-B/Mode S transmissions and put them up on their website.

Linked below is one of those sites that does not depend on the FAA's data. Plug your "N" number into this site (under "Other Tracking Info, Flight History Data") and see what pops up.

Link --> "ADS-B Exchange - World's largest co-op of unfiltered flight data"

"Serving the Flight Tracking Enthusiast"
"Welcome to ADSBexchange.com, a co-op of ADS-B/Mode S/MLAT feeders from around the world, and the world’s largest source of unfiltered flight data. Thanks to our worldwide community of participants, if the data is broadcast over the air, you can find it here.
Secondly, ADS-B Exchange does not participate in the “security theater” performed by most other flight tracking websites which do not share data on military or certain private aircraft. There are no FAA BARR, military, or other “filters” here.
ADS-B Exchange differs from typical flight tracking sites in two primary ways. First, all data sent in from the community is, in turn, made available back to the community through various archives and APIs. (www.adsbexchange.com/data). Best of all, for non-commercial use, all of this data is freely accessible to anyone!"

A true ADS-B anonymous mode is the only way to stay off these sites, and that only works when squawking 1200.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 05-02-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 PM

ADSB exchange is a bit of a joke, it has shown our little plane leave Phoenix and fly none stop to the west coast of Africa, even with the tip tanks, that’s a bit of a stretch

It being a volunteer website, the “owner” doesn’t like being told the site has issues
Old 05-03-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
A true ADS-B anonymous mode is the only way to stay off these sites, and that only works when squawking 1200.
This only applies to UAT only and not all vendors support this mode.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:17 AM

In today's world, privacy and anonymity are limited to those who are willing to withdraw from most of what we think of as "life". There are cameras everywhere, most of use use mobile phones, social media, and credit cards - it's insanely easy for someone to know pretty much everything about us. My goal in life is to bore them to death...

To me, the value of someone knowing where I am in case of a forced landing or accident and the ability to see traffic and weather far outweighs any need or desire for anonymity.

Some privileges (driving, flying) require a willingness to give up some privacy and most folks accept that. I do like the fact that unlike in the driving world, if I make a mistake (bust airspace or similar) I can file an ASRS report anonymously and have some protection from reprisal.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/