What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Prop Maintenance

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I can't find this anywhere and Catto's website is still under construction, so I'll ask here: what are the mandatory inspection/overhaul limits for his props, if any? I'm thinking hard about a three-blade model for my -8.

I check the torque quarterly and remove it yearly.

Other than a few tracks, I haven't had any problems. Oh, about those cracks, they were caused by taxing into a trailer parked in the middle of the taxiway, on the backside of a hill.

As for the torque check, I have never found it out of spec.

I highly recommend a Catto, if you are going to go with a FP prop. You will also need a prop extension and for those, I equally strongly recommend http://www.sabermfg.com/.

I check the torque quarterly and remove it yearly.

Other than a few tracks, I haven't had any problems. Oh, about those cracks, they were caused by taxing into a trailer parked in the middle of the taxiway, on the backside of a hill.

As for the torque check, I have never found it out of spec.

I highly recommend a Catto, if you are going to go with a FP prop. You will also need a prop extension and for those, I equally strongly recommend http://www.sabermfg.com/.

Cheaper, lighter, easier to install, and comparable performance to a CS? Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I'm waiting on Craig's response now.

+1 for Catto

I have the three blade Catto on my Superior IO-360 RV-8 and love it. Great all round performance. There is no mandatory inspection, although I have had to repaint the most distal part of the leading edge after not coming off the RPM's enough when flying through rain. You may want to consider the nickel leading edge which is now available. I also agree Saber Manufacturing is the extension of choice.

I pull my RPM back to below 2200 ( usually 2150 ) in the rain to stop that problem.
All I do is pull the prop 2-3 times a year. They are great props.

FYI, Craig is about to move his shop from one location to another (he told me the last two weeks of December is when the move is scheduled), so may be incommunicado (or very busy) for the next few weeks.

Greg

I have a Catto on order as we speak.

Why do you guys pull the prop yearly or more? You looking for corrosion or cracks or something else?

Prop cracks, spinner bulkhead cracks, evidence of relative motion, etc.

Also check for stretched prop bolts.
Although I've never seen it on a Catto, on wood props that were torqued during very dry humidity, as the humidity increases, the prop can swell and stretch the bolts.

So far so good

I sent my prop back because I needed a repitch (granted this was a SWAG on what I needed because 1 - it was a new prop design and 2 - it had more hp than a normal RV-3.) I was going past 2700 with ease and I had a bit of paint coming of the leading edge - middle to tips (rain) as well as some wear marks from the spinner. I pull it off every annual and inspect it. I like to check the torque and safety wire is cheap. 20 mins of checking makes me sleep better at night. It's composite so I tend to follow the wooden prop directions. Leave it level at night, put it in a prop cover if you have one and R&R at annual. You could do it every 50 or 100 hrs and that might be overdoing it a bit but it's your airplane.
Best,
Brian

Also check for stretched prop bolts.
Although I've never seen it on a Catto, on wood props that were torqued during very dry humidity, as the humidity increases, the prop can swell and stretch the bolts.

How would you identify stretched bolts?

I like to check the torque and safety wire is cheap. 20 mins of checking makes me sleep better at night. It's composite so I tend to follow the wooden prop directions.

I plan to get my Catto dynamic balanced. Is there a technique for checking the prop at annual which will not mess with the dynamic balance ?

Prop me up...

I can't find this anywhere and Catto's website is still under construction, so I'll ask here: what are the mandatory inspection/overhaul limits for his props, if any? I'm thinking hard about a three-blade model for my -8.

Mark,

All good "gouge" above. I will add that Craig has recently added the nickel leading edge option. Being a Jurassic Catto prop guy (I mounted his first 2 blade prop on my RV4 in 98') I can assure you it is worth every penny. Rain damage was my only problem with his early props and prop tape helped but is nowhere near as good as the Nickel, or as pretty.
Use his recommended bolt size, frequency (25/50 hours) torque value printed on the prop side and you won't have any problems. 0-320 (7/16") 0-360 (1/2") The Saber extension matches beautifully and Craig even makes pre-fitted spinners.
Performance is stellar...

Win win...

V/R
Smokey

Catto Gen 2 on my RVX

Last edited:
I tried to call Craig today and the phone just rang and rang and rang. I'd like to get my prop on order asap, in case Craig reads this!

And yes, I plan on the nickel leading edge. I've been known to fly in rain a time or two, and can't imagine flying around a light or even moderate rains shower.

Don't call us....we'll call you...

I tried to call Craig today and the phone just rang and rang and rang. I'd like to get my prop on order asap, in case Craig reads this!

And yes, I plan on the nickel leading edge. I've been known to fly in rain a time or two, and can't imagine flying around a light or even moderate rains shower.

Mark,
Email works best right now, he's swamped with orders...

[email protected]

V/R
Smokey

Catto 3B

I received my 3B last month.It's a work of art.The blades are sculpted like the wing of the new Airbus. I'm told this is the new generation blade,the lay up schedule was changed to accommodate the Nickle leading edge harmonics.Email Nicole and she will get back to you. Understand your not buying off the shelf, your commissioning an Artist to work some magic on your custom installation,this takes time. I sent 1/2 $ in and waited, I was tossed on the edges and went without them. Sam at Saber just needed to know the prop thickness and within days I had my parts and man they are sweet Top notch work The Saber 7" spacer & set up are the way to go. Any imbalance in the engine & prop system will get taken care of with the Dina Vibe system when I get it together.
RHill

Last edited:
Understood, which is why I want to get my order in now...I'll try emailing Nicole.
Email Nicole and she will get back to you. Understand your not buying off the shelf, your commissioning an Artist to work some magic on your custom installation,this takes time.

Mark,
Email works best right now, he's swamped with orders...

[email protected]

V/R
Smokey

I visited the Catto operation in Moke Hill yesterday, and it was a real eye-opener. I was expecting to find a lone artisan working quietly away in his garage. What I encountered was a thriving operation with Craig and at least five others making, modifying, and repairing a wide variety of propellers. I saw their CNC machine in operation, and I also got to see 3D CAD models of props under development. If they're not answering the phone, it's probably because nobody has a hand free at the moment!

Thanks, Bob K.

Back