What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 12 fuel additives

warpspd

I am planning on purchasing an rv12 in next couple weeks if the pre buy checks out. It is going to be a long 1400 nm trip back to my home airport and along route mostly going to have to use 100LL. What additives are you guys suggesting that I use along the route to not harm the rotax?

If you're only making a 1400 mile trip, I wouldn't worry about the 100LL, you're not going to be putting THAT much through it. We've burned quite a bit of 100LL in our Sling 2 this past year. You really just have to change the oil a little more often, than if you're burning mogas.

There is some other things to consider, if you were using avgas all the time though.

I add DECALIN whenever I have to use 100LL during long cross countries in my 912 ULS -- it seems to be working for me. ROTAX apparently does not object to DECALIN's use as a lead scavenging agent. Having said that, using 100LL on a 1,400-mile trip should not be a significant issue if you change the oil and filter, clean the oil tank, and don't use fully synthetic oil (AeroShell Sport Plus 4 is fine). Lots of info on this site and others.

Last edited:
Back