What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chicago Area Airparks

Paddy

Well Known Member
Considering a job transfer from Los Angeles to Downer's Grove, IL and entertaining the dream of finishing up the -10 in my own airpark home :D The wife's family live close to Poplar Grove (which is wonderful but just too far to commute), so during our Christmas visit, we took a drive to check out Aero Estates, Naper Aero and Brookeridge...

We haven't owned an airpark home before so are looking for input on what to watch out for. I'm assuming there's no phase 1 testing under the ORD Bravo but I know nothing about it really... Couldn't find much online either...

Any input from the locals?

Thanks - Jim

Welcome to the frozen North Central

Hi Jim,
I live just down the street from Brookeridge off 83rd street. I can't comment on the things to look out for but I know that Brookeridge and Naper Aero are underneath the Class B airspace not in it. There are a number of homebuilts at Clow in Bolingbrook which is a public airport and at Lewis University in Romeoville (about 10 - 12 miles south of DG. I also know that Naper Aero has some homebuilts. My tech counselor is based there. If you want to talk about the area, pm me with a phone number or your email and we can get in touch.
Again, Welcome,
Paul

Jim,

I used to base my RV-6 out of Naper Aero. It's a nice community.

I know each DAR/FSDo can be different but I wouldn't assume you can't fly phase 1 under the class B. Along with many others, I test flew my -8 under the Washington class B out of Manassas and within the SFRA with no issues.

Rick McBride

Thanks for the replies

Thanks Paul and Rick.
Naper Aero certainly looks like a great community, it''s easy to see how the houses are linked to the runway with their taxiways at the rear.
Brookeridge was nice too (maybe too nice for me :eek:) but I just couldn't figure out how things worked there. Seemed like some houses had runway access and others didn't, hard to tell what the layout was.

Are there HOA dues (or equivalent) at these developments to cover runway access? Also, are there additional homeowner's insurance requirements for having an attached hangar?

Naper Aero

I live at Naper Aero and am building an RV6. I think I am the only homebuilder here right now. Monthly dues for airport maintenance are $84. The overlying Bravo airspace is not a problem for phase 1 testing.
Stewart Willoughby
Finishing

HI JIM HAVE YOU CHECK OUT THE LANDINGS IN HUNTLEY IL. 82IS.THIS IS A PRIVATE AIRPORT AND HAS ABOUT 100 HANGERS.
CALL ME IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS I LIVE RIGHT ON THE AIRPORT AND MAY BE SELLING IN THE SPRING TOM 847-778-8973

Back