What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Sealant

Stan Bahrns

I am ready to my upper dash skin & am wondering if there is any other sealant that will work other than proseal to seal the firewall, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Stan Bahrns RV7-A QB from Southern, IL

Stan, when I mounted my brake reservoir (sp?) I asked Van's what to use, they said Permatex Red (600+ degree). I used copper, just a little higher temp.

Wick's has high temp silicone (600 degree) in a caulking gun tube for about $9.

I have no clue what the temp rating is on ProSeal.

If you want, I can bring a tube of silicone Thursday.

Larry

Both Home Depot and Lowe's sell a fire resistant caulking, obviously rated for VERY high temperatures. Typically $9-$10 per tube.

txaviator said:
Both Home Depot and Lowe's sell a fire resistant caulking, obviously rated for VERY high temperatures. Typically $9-$10 per tube.
Nope, not high enough. If I recall correctly, these are only rated to about 300 degrees. I may be mistaken.

Van's sells Firewall sealant for $17.50.

Here's the description from their web site:

CS 1900 is a compound for sealing firewall structures. It is elastomeric at operating temperatures from minus 65 degrees to plus 400 degrees F and able to withstand flash temperatures of 2000 degrees F. This product can be used as a perimeter firewall seal on existing aircraft or during construction of new aircraft. In new aircraft, as the skins are being installed, the flange of the firewall should be coated with a thin layer and the skin riveted on while the material is still uncured ("wet").

Sorry to revive a very old thread, but what should I use for firewall sealant? Vans now sell sells CS-1900 for $105 for 3.5 oz.:eek: Just a few weeks ago it was $45. I will not pay $105 for 3.5 oz.

http://www.skygeek.com/flamemaster-cs-1900-sealant-6-oz.html

Just ordered some also. $16.99 (Flamemaster CS 1900 Firewall Sealant - 6 oz SemKit Cartridge) plus $12.04 FedEx shipping and no Hazmat on the receipt.

Got a really big box yesterday:

IMG_2131.JPG

Last edited:
Back